Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You fall for this shit from the Dems when Biden personally greenlit enough new oil and gas to almost single-handedly scupper global emissions targets but a few days after COP26?
I knew you’d mention that but cleaner manufacturing of renewable infrastructure is bad now?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I knew you’d mention that but cleaner manufacturing of renewable infrastructure is bad now?
It is if it's a transparently cynical greenwashing event by a cunt government, owned by oil interests.

Weigh up actions, not words - and that action was 100% decisive.

You don't congratulate Tyson for not raping any more do you? Even if he donates a tiny proportion of his wealth to a women's charity.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

This is a very good example of why nuclear is a silly technology - because war at some point is pretty much a given.
And yet, despite bombing the country to shit and 10s of thousands dead, none of them are from nuclear.

Meanwhile, quel surprise:

View: https://twitter.com/JMichaelWaller/status/1502879289657671682

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And yet, despite bombing the country to shit and 10s of thousands dead, none of them are from nuclear.
Relative risk.

Thankfully, they're not dumb enough to target nuclear reactors. But the consequences could be catastrophic and also last longer than the entire timeline of that European borders map that I've posted.

And yes - shutting down nuclear reactors early was idiocy. We've already locked in the bulk of the shit with them, so let them live out their life.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
VAT removed on energy saving products.
But he's not ruled out VAT on installation - which is where a lot of the expense is.

He's also cut 5p off fuel duty, £5bn, when he could easily have taken that £5bn and done what they promised to do - subsidise insulation properly.

That VAT cut is a VAT cut for the rich - people who can afford to insulate and put up solar panels. (Which is great for me, obvs, but shite for most).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I can guarantee you the working man on the street would rather have an extra 5p off a litre of diesel than the VAT off solar panels or "heat" pumps.

Actually thinking about how much of our stuff gets delivered via a diesel truck - which we have no practical alternative to, I'm inclined to agree.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I can guarantee you the working man on the street would rather have an extra 5p off a litre of diesel than the VAT off solar panels or "heat" pumps.
Absolutely. But the working man in the street shouldn't be in charge of policy.

We waste so much shit in this country. Going from £1.75 to £1.70 for a litre of diesel isn't going to make anyone rich or achieve anything meaningful. But spending £5bn on a well thought out policy can make a meaningful difference.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Apparently £131bn now. (and rising). And we've still no idea how to deal with the waste.

It is likely to take until 2150 to deposit the legacy waste into a GDF, if one is built. Only then would a GDF be able to take waste from new nuclear reactors.

"If".

Embattle

FH is my second home
Due to our solar panels and powerwall along with the recent sunny spell we managed to almost be totally self sufficient for 10 days from the 18th March until the 28th March, used a few kW due spikes in requirement but also exported over 7 kWh.

Personally I have and still do believe the UK needs to continue to invest or start investing more in Insulation, Wind, Solar, Batteries and Nuclear with the government doing the required heavy lifting in Nuclear.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We seem to have been lucky enough to move from a "modern" insulated mid-00's house to a draughty old 30's Semi, and magically our heating bills have actually gone down. No loft insulation in the eaves - although it has a loft conversion so I suspect the insulation is under the floor, and no hint of a cavity wall, yet it still manages to stay nice and toasty for far longer than the old one ever did. I'd put it down to a 15 year newer boiler and radiators, brick being a better insulator than the carboard in the old house and no laminate flooring. A coupleof windows need replaced which we'll get done over the summer.

Looks like we're currently sitting on around £60 of gas for the month, which isn't too shabby at all considering the entire house runs on it - including the oven, which was an eye opener. I can confirm that gas ovens do make a lovely pizza however.

Still we're in the process of having a log burner installed in the second fireplace, which should help next winter. Not sure if it will offset the patio heater we bought for the back garden though :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Getting the house re-plastered in July, will be insulated as much as possible. We will have to have the windows open in winter.

Edit, also getting a wood burner put in before they are banned. It will be my main source of heating next winter. I will gather the wood myself.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Greenwashing from the lying little shit there @Wij.

He reversed his position to halt oil and gas exploration and held a record auction of 80 million acres of public land for fossil fuel exploitation in the Gulf of Mexico the week after COP26. There is literally no policy that is possible for Biden to come up with that will make emissions recover from that.

He should do the decent thing and fucking die.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Petrol prices are pretty high right now.
The answer is: drive less.

Absolutely that sucks for some people - we've designed our societies around the car. But as a species we cannot afford to continue to live that way.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Just filled up today £70...but not filled up in a month.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The answer is: drive less.

Absolutely that sucks for some people - we've designed our societies around the car. But as a species we cannot afford to continue to live that way.

It's not really just that though is it?

I don't think anyone will suggest that Biden going for more oil is a good thing, but I think the vast majority of people who rely on stuff like food, driving and other shit see it as a necessary evil.

I mean it's better than buying Russian right?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's not really just that though is it?

I don't think anyone will suggest that Biden going for more oil is a good thing, but I think the vast majority of people who rely on stuff like food, driving and other shit see it as a necessary evil.

I mean it's better than buying Russian right?

Every single thing anyone owns or eats travels on several articulated trucks. Regardless of our good intentions.

This can be countered by buying local produce and not consuming so much tat that we don't need, but that still leaves a huge amount that still has to be moved from one point to another.

We can all commute less too, by getting work closer to home, or moving closer to work. Obviously not ideal and probably won't work for all. I would like to see taxation increase the further from work you travel, ideally through abolishing vehicle tax and increasing tax on fuel a little.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We've already got more oil and gas than we can possibly burn.

A significant proportion of what we have already has to stay in the ground if we're going to make it as a species.

The US opening up these fields wasn't because of Russia (this was last year) - it was because they're lying about doing the right thing and are pursuing profit at any cost.

If your food is fucking expensive then that's because capitalism is broken - and we're not pricing in the actual cost of things. The solution is not to fuck the planet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This can be countered by buying local produce and not consuming so much tat that we don't need
The whole world is based around stimulating, prompting and coercing humans into consuming shit they don't need.

If we banned shit we don't need - and just provided the goods we needed (rather than just wanted) then we'd have no problem. But good luck with that joe.

In the meantime - we NEED to keep the oil in the ground. And tough titties if everything gets expensive. The good thing about that is that we will be able to afford to buy less shit. The bad thing being that poor people will suffer.

But again - the solution isn't "extract more oil" - because that's a solution that'll kill us. It's "fix the economy so it works for all".

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
At some point I will most likely censor the following:

"as a species"

as it really is fucking annoying reading it everywhere on FH.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I find it really fucking annoying that people are thinking "my petrol's expensive" not "thousands are dying because of climate change and if we continue down the road we're on we'll likely bring about our own end - if not directly through some tipping point, then by wars started by mass migrations of humans trying to escape parts of the planet we've made unliveable".

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I find it really fucking annoying that people are thinking "my petrol's expensive" not "thousands are dying because of climate change and if we continue down the road we're on we'll likely bring about our own end - if not directly through some tipping point, then by wars started by mass migrations of humans trying to escape parts of the planet we've made unliveable".
But do you really have to bring up all the fucking time when it is plastered all over the internet and TV. We already get that climate change is bad for planet Earth. There are enough TV documentaries about it, we don't need you to harp on about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But do you really have to bring up all the fucking time when it is plastered all over the internet and TV. We already get that climate change is bad for planet Earth. There are enough TV documentaries about it, we don't need you to harp on about it.
People might "know" that climate change is bad Deebs - but we still don't "get" it.

@Gwadien brought up that petrol prices were high in response to my post about Biden opening up 80 million acres for new oil and gas extraction - when we already know we have to leave what we've already got in the ground.

"Well, petrol is expensive, so fuck the environment - we need more oil".

So yes. I feel like I do have to bring it up all the time. Wij is obsessed about american corruption, loads of people are obsessed about Ukraine - and they discuss it constantly. I'm the only one who regularly discusses the crisis that is facing us all - one that is far bigger than american corruption, or a frankly pilfering war on a tiny part of the planet (or even a global virus) - and you don't tell them to shut up. (Likely because lots of people rather than one annoying gnat are discussing those topics).

It's because people - you included - deep-down feel that climate change is "noise" and aren't doing anything about it. And nothing will get done until people stop seeing it as noise and start demanding that change happens. And that won't happen if people are allowed to ignore it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom