Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yes that has to go. In fact why not just have hydrogen vehicles and forget this EV vehicle rubbish.
They go as far as a regular car and they could convert all the petrol stations to do hydrogen instead.

I guess it's more of a dangerous fuel but it certainly overcomes a lot of EV failings.

It seems to be like pre-USB phone charging. Madnes. To be useful they absolutely have to come up with a standard. I get where the likes of Tesla are coming from, they have built their network (or at least are in the process) so they wouldn't want to share it but for EV to be taken seriously, this sort of barrier needs removing.

Imagine if Apple got in on the act too? Like they keep getting near to.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It seems to be like pre-USB phone charging. Madnes. To be useful they absolutely have to come up with a standard. I get where the likes of Tesla are coming from, they have built their network (or at least are in the process) so they wouldn't want to share it but for EV to be taken seriously, this sort of barrier needs removing.

Imagine if Apple got in on the act too? Like they keep getting near to.

Well I hopefully government structures like the EU will act and enforce a proper standard as they did with Apple.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well I hopefully government structures like the EU will act and enforce a proper standard as they did with Apple.

Will UK follow an EU led initiative on standardisation? Even companies within same groups have been using different charging plugs (see Renault and Nissan for most dumbass example)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Will UK follow an EU led initiative on standardisation? Even companies within same groups have been using different charging plugs (see Renault and Nissan for most dumbass example)

I'm not sure but they may well do. I'm sure it will benefit everyone so would make sense to do so.

Embattle

FH is my second home

If it is in their interest sure they will, I mean look at the emission standards as an example.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
If it is in their interest sure they will, I mean look at the emission standards as an example.

Mmmm the problem with these things (just look at US defining their own competing standards for everything) is that if its beneficial to the EU to pick a standard defined by a "European" company (as laughable as that is for car market). On the other hand politically it would be beneficial for the brexit crew to be seen to go a different route, even if its not beneficial to the UK or EU to have differing standards.

Getting agreement on this stuff is hard, one major disadvantage of brexit is that the UK is not going to be involved in defining these standards that rest of the continent will adhere to, so option will be to follow and align, or, if in need of political points, diverge and lose out to advantages the standardisation will give

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The EU could just pretend to go with one option knowing the UK will go for the other then they'll change last second.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Build more tanks you cheap lazy fucks.

Yeah, that's really bad. It's going to end up in the food chain. At this point, I think a 1960's approach is almost better. Sail out to the Mariana Trench and dump the barrels into the deepest part, and then hope for the best.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Was talking about this today (doing coastal defences in geog) one student suggested that we should just boil it and let it evaporate.
Tritium (an isotope of hydrogen) replaces one of the hydrogen molecules in the water molecule - so if you boil it off you simply make radioactive water vapour.

It's not like a solid in suspension that gets left behind. The water itself is radioactive waste. As are the containers we store it in.

We literally cannot escape physics. So we're going to dump it in the sea where it'll bioaccumulate. Just another example of humans shitting in their beds.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why does the Queen and her family get 25% of everything from offshore wind? Why do we allow it?[/spoiler]

As much as I hate the monarchy...

the crown estate is actually the governments money, it doesnt go to the inbreds.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As much as I hate the monarchy...

the crown estate is actually the governments money, it doesnt go to the inbreds.

Under current rules, the crown estate hands its profits to the Treasury before 25% is returned to the royal household in the form of the sovereign grant

Monarchy needs dissolving. They're a massive fiscal drag on the UK.

Embattle

FH is my second home
To me I'm not sure there are many valid reasons not to put solar panels/tiles on a roof, I've been of the opinion they are at a price point where they should be on the majority of new builds. I'm somewhat against seeing fields of solar panels however, I feel the land could be used better.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Probably as bored of the question of where we are going to get all the lithium for all the batteries we need.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Probably as bored of the question of where we are going to get all the lithium for all the batteries we need.
Have a look at this:

Anyway - carbon nanotubules are the exciting battery tech m8.

Increased charge speed (5 minutes), doubling of capacity and massive extension of useable battery life.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Yeah there was talk of all sorts of promised land from carbon nanotubes a decade ago. Probably being used in all sorts of interesting applications already but not batteries on that scale

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
All avenues need to be explored and if they can get fusion working then the possibilities are endless, not just on earth.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All avenues need to be explored and if they can get fusion working then the possibilities are endless, not just on earth.
Yep. But right now fusion is being used as a distraction from the fact that we've got the tools, today, to solve global warming. Readily available, cheap and proven.

But we ain't doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom