Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well theres the elephant in the room, there is no such tech on the horizon

Actually there are.

You could use energy from wind and solar to create hydrogen. You could then use that hydrogen in gas power stations or vehicles (once the tech has matured a bit)

Any waste is largely recyclable and where it isn't the rubbish is not going to cost billions of pounds to essentially kick it down the street for the next generations to deal with.

It's a step in the right direction and it is not being done quick enough.

Sure, we probably need the odd nuclear station on standby (not that the reaction can really be on standby) but again, when wind and solar are kicking out excess power the nuclear stations can power hydrogen production.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This is the common theme on here and in much of the conversation thesedays

If you point out a problem in an idea that has an ounce of glorious new world in it, then you are hitlers more evil twin brother.

I dont think that pointing out a major issue with a total overhaul of the tech in one of our vital sources of civilisation is cherry picking.

This move would cover our entire offshore coastline in 300 to probably 600ft high turbines and only cover household generation...this includes us making major changes to our consumption and convenience.

The Germans have a strange hybrid hydro turbine.

I do admire hydrogen storage because it is the huge scale tech we would need but theyve been trying for decades with no real success and a few days calm across Europe would very quickly deplete reserves.

Undoubtedly you can fix any problem by injecting enough cash and Im sure in the 30s no one seriously thought the splitting atom could eventually run the grid for France, but its reasonable to call in to doubt this 10yr timeline when it has limited reach and relies on tech that has yet to be proven scaled up to that level.

A quick google once you get past all the corporate sell will reveal problems.

This one is hilarious because he said it himself.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I dont think that pointing out a major issue with a total overhaul of the tech in one of our vital sources of civilisation is cherry picking.
It's not a major issue.

Job

Ok ok.
I'll tell Elon then.

I know all you want is for them to be forced to let you have a heatpump.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok ok.
I'll tell Elon then.

I know all you want is for them to be forced to let you have a heatpump.

As I've already explained. Batteries are a "nice to have". But we can balance the grid between different regions.

It's a non-problem, fixable with yesterday's technology.

Job

Well type in renewables energy storage and see if its an issue or not.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well type in renewables energy storage and see if its an issue or not.
Playing dumb still I see.

It's not an issue for the rollout of renewables. We'll sell excess to other countries, and they'll sell their excess to us.

Done. End of discussion.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Playing dumb still I see.

It's not an issue for the rollout of renewables. We'll sell excess to other countries, and they'll sell their excess to us.

Done. End of discussion.

And what if it's a calm day in the UK and our European friends don't have any excess to sell us?

Don't get me wrong I've always wanted to live in California, but that was more the weather, the scenery and pace of life - not their inability to keep the power on and the massive taxes tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And what if it's a calm day in the UK and our European friends don't have any excess to sell us?
But but but but but....!!!

Scotland can already produce their annual requirement in just six months - and they're still building.

Maybe Europe just can't be fucked tho eh?

We're all doooomed!! We're hoing to have to turn our heating off and wear jumpers!!! No!!!!!!!!!!

Come back coal!!!! All is forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*10^27!1eleventy!!!!

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Don't get me wrong I've always wanted to live in California, but that was more the weather, the scenery and pace of life - not their inability to keep the power on and the massive taxes tbh.

What if a big marshmallow man attacked us what will we do then?!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Timing...

We could be world leaders in this stuff. We should be, there is fuck all else to do.
It seems daft to me that they're going to focus on putting the hydrogen under the carriages?

I'm sure they're working on all the safety systems but it feels like this would make more sense in the old fashioned way of just pulling the train from the front?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, what you're saying is that gas and coal and nuclear isn't more reliable than wind?

Bring on that cross-european grid eh? It'll sort this out:
National Grid has already spent almost £1bn on extra measures to prevent blackouts over the first half of the year by paying generators to produce less electricity during the coronavirus lockdown.

The company paid wind farms to turn off, and EDF Energy to halve the nuclear generation from its Sizewell B nuclear plant, to avoid overwhelming the grid when demand for electricity fell by almost a quarter from last year.

I know you're pissing in your little boy pants - but all of this has already been covered @Job. Moar wind! Pan-european grid!

Face it. You've nothing left to contribute to this thread. Nothing to see here! :)

Job

Sorry couldnt read your post, powers down.

Oh hang on, bit of a breeze, there we g...nope gone again, try solar....boloks its after 7.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's almost as if you don't understand how multi-national electrical grids and multiple energy sources work...

...but that would imply you're a moron...

...so who knows.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh hang on, bit of a breeze, there we g...nope gone again, try solar....boloks its after 7.
Quick! Turn on the gas..... what? It's not working??!! :D

:clap:

Job

It's almost as if you don't understand how multi-national electrical grids and multiple energy sources work...

...but that would imply you're a moron...

...so who knows.
So presumably neither do the National grid, because theyve just announced theyve lost their buffer because the wind stopped.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Right...

So it's time to join everything up then...

Job

Yes nothing gives us an edge on brexit talks like having to borrow nuclear power off France because all weve got is windmills.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yes nothing gives us an edge on brexit talks like having to borrow nuclear power off France because all weve got is windmills.

National pride > finding a sensible solution to our current finite energy problems.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Not borrowing - buying and selling - and as it stands we'll be doing more of the selling.

And France? Well - they're fucked - their nuclear stations are end-of-life. We'll make a killing on this.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Might well create a connection with more of the scandi countries, Sweden would love a bit of wind power on those long winter nights.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Might well create a connection with more of the scandi countries, Sweden would love a bit of wind power on those long winter nights.
I hear we can put electricity into rubber plumbers bags in Nigeria and people can row it into Liverpool as long as they land on Formby beach.

All 'dem bags of 'leccy and the only thing we have to fear is the ousting of white plumbers with Liverpool postcodes!

Win win!! :)

Job

Interconnects are all very good if you ignore the transmission loss, but it also extends our power production vulnerability massively.
If the connected countries have any problems they'll turn us off first and visa versa.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Interconnects are all very good if you ignore the transmission loss, but it also extends our power production vulnerability massively.
If the connected countries have any problems they'll turn us off first and visa versa.
It's taken you well over an hour to think of something negative to say. If the connected countries "have any problems", they'll make use of the interconnects to draw from elsewhere, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom