Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Except the power output is barely above the power and pollution input when making them... but that's fine because they are made in China and we can moan about their pollution.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It all comes down to European directives..we are legally bound to have renewables at any cost...wind turbines dont really bother me as an eyesore..they are pretty easy to take down.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The reality is we need to carry on developing renewables technology and we really need massive advancements in energy storage technology.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Absolutely but in the mean time there is no option but nuclear or fossil. Not without destroying what we are trying to save. Fossil will just exasperate the problem.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Indeed and I've stated it many times that the other prong is continuing with nuclear for another generation.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well it is pseudo science. It might well be analysed by peers but when the peers are hacks out for a quick grant too, science loses out.

leggy

Probably Scottish
energy storage needs to be more of a thing

Shit, if only someone had thought of this :)

While we're quickly banging out ultra large scale energy storage we should knock together a nuclear fusion reactor and a perpetual motion train (but we know what happens when the lower class rebels on one of those things!)

Job

I blame the whole thing on plants...goddam oxygen making bastards...ruined the atmosphere for those methane breathing algae...rip little green guys.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you could argue that plants killed more organisms than everything else in the history of the world!!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really liked that @Wij. Good find :)

Always thought biofuels were retarded. Just never visualised the scale. I'm a fan of massive offshore wind ramping up. And like I've been saying along - we need a pan-european project - the european supergrid - to get a shuft on.

Solar panel farms in the sahara twice the size of central london? Win-win. Clean energy for all of europe and increased albedo effects in the sahara hopefully reflecting a measurable proportion more sunlight back into space - lowering temperature.

I understand even better now why that bloke from the UN said he almost cried when he saw the speed at which we bailed out the banks when for half that he could have solared up the deserts and provided clean energy for all..

Job

It's all right, my mate a few years ago had a heated argument over his perpetual motion machine he proposed of a motor charging a dynamo...when I pointed out friction loss he suggested a battery to overcome that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
http://euanmearns.com/wind-blowing-nowhere/

Having a large interconnect does NOT help with wind intermittency.
True. We need storage desparately - and solar's much more important than wind IMO anyway - especially for when we do get the interconnect.

Thing'd look better without the subsidies for fossil fuels tho IMO. IMF says effective subsidies for fossil fuels are around 5 trillion p/a. Although the conservative press are predictably attacking what they mean by subsidy...

leggy

Probably Scottish
Not just storage. A way to compensate for the massive reduction of inertia connected to the GB grid (I.e spinning mass connected to synchronous generators). Wind farms and other 'soft' electrical sources can't ride through quick changes in frequency.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
For that amount of money, we could build a unmanned space ship and send it into space and just dump the nuclear waste in space, or randomly destroy planets, that'd be fun.
Dont say that cause scouse will jump on your stupidity for not looking at the accident factor. And nuking ourselves in the same instance

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Staggering the amount of idiocy in this thread. I guess 67 billion in ongoing costs for a single site and no end in sight, or technical fix (because it doesn't exist) just doesn't deserve proper thought.

Sixty seven billion. It is actually the proverbial black hole for cash written large.

Years of many on this board saying that nuclear is cost effective. The government's "independent" advisor blows their last leg out from under them (because cost, not safety, is what they back their views up with) - and it becomes a "meh" issue.

67 billion - and another 67 billion because we don't know what to do with it - and maybe another 67 billion after that, and ...

:facepalm:

We have no expertise in nuke-tech. We need other countries to build our reactors for us.

Get this through your head people - we don't have a fix for this problem.

This shit stays radioactive and lethal for geologic timescales. Even IF we could find a deep geologic repository (which we can't) we could not guarantee it's long-term safety.
Who cares im only alive for another sixty years at the most. Fuck em

Job

We need wind turbines high up in the jet stream...tidal generators in estuarys...fuck the fish..they'll evolve, fission and giant space mirrors which every few years lose lock and send a death heat beam through the city.
All after WW3 of course which is on it's way in the next 50 yrs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They are cool as fuck.

(But probably have nothing to do with radiation, just a random mutation)

Job

It is beyond ridiculous how much money get's spent bailing out banks to keep bankers in Ferrari's, when they are moaning about a 20 billion project...to frickin solve the worlds energy crisis...goes over budget.
But that's humans...living the the Vi da Loca now is far more important than the fact that the garage is on fire.

You've got to hand it to George though, he managed to do this in the budget without anyone really being bothered...awesome.

'He has also slashed the energy efficiency budget, ended the tax break for clean cars, abolished rules on zero carbon housing, lowered taxes on polluting firms and introduced a tax on clean energy.'

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I quite like that tbh. But in reality we'd need far far less than that.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If it was easier to transport electricity a few massive solar farms in the middle of the Desert could solve everyone's problems.

I am surprised America has not got more on board with this. The Mojave Desert over 40k square miles and one of the driest places on earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom