Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yup, but beggers are no choosers and if you aren't flush for natural resources then you need to make some tough choices.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The problem with that is until there is just one global nation you can not really have an energy policy that is dependent on another nation. Any land locked nation would need to have all of their energy come though another country and probably have to pay for the privilege.

A bit like we're currently quite reliant on the middle east and Russia for our resources? I'd be much happier for us as a nation to invest in a country such as Iceland because it's green energy, it's not a volatile country that could turn on us, like Russia and the Middle East, sure it'd cost alot of money, but I'd be happier to see us help, and reap the benefits in the future at a discounted cost, I mean, if we can't sustain ourselves with green energy efficiently maybe we should look abroad, and cut deals with other nations to secure our future.

The issue with politicians running countries is that they're not forward looking in the slightest, why bother investing in a long term goal, when you could see some benefits in your life time, I mean, going off topic here, look the Building Schools for the Future programme, they'll last like 40-50 years.

We also live in a Democracy and the Green party is evidence that as humans, we're selfish, so long as we're sorted for our time on this dying planet, we can pass the ticking time bomb onto future generations.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why not blame it on capitalism, cause that is set up to increase consumerism, which intern increases energy demands, which increase reliance on other nations or nuclear fuel.

Only when green becomes cheaper than coal etc will it become prevelant. Like in Iceland.

Until then you are reliant on subs fro government to make it attractive before it's capitalistic time. Which when in time of economic crisis since 2008. Have bee decreased. Like tariffs for solar etc.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We throw it away because it gets increasingly more expensive to extract the energy from uranium each time...the first 'pass' only extracts a tiny amount of the energy...thats why nuclear waste is so dangerous..most of the energy is still there over 95%..the French give it one more pass in their fast reactors..but its also the best way to produce weapons grade material so lots of countries have stopped doing it..the US just store everything underwater...but if you are serious about CO2 climate change then we should simply spend the money extracting all that unused energy.
Unfortunately those 100,000 year atoms will always be a problem until we find a new science to eradicate them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Pesky fucking democracy", says David Cameron, "lets just do away with a person's ability to be voted in by popular mandate on a single-issue that unites a local area to fix a problem or block something the local population don't want, eh?"

"Fucking plebs getting in the way of deals I've already done and decisions I've already taken... Oh well, off to the Bully for some more Pimms..."

Ormorof

FH is my second home
"Pesky fucking democracy", says David Cameron, "lets just do away with a person's ability to be voted in by popular mandate on a single-issue that unites a local area to fix a problem or block something the local population don't want, eh?"

"Fucking plebs getting in the way of deals I've already done and decisions I've already taken... Oh well, off to the Bully for some more Pimms..."

Of course they might as well dump it all up north otherwise it might interfere with their pony rides in the cotswolds with their phone hacki... journalist friends :p

They should bury it alll in the falklands then hand it over to argentina without telling them where its buried

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tell me this isnt hilarious

Not particularly. What really needs to happen is that the grid needs upgrading and energy storage needs to be more of a thing. Reverse hydroelectric wherever they can do it is one thing, but more tech is needed.

That european supergrid would sure even things out eh. Especially since microproduction is producing so much energy at peak times that they have to give away the electricity "almost for free"....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What magical containers would they use though and how much damage would they do to the environment in producing said magical containers? Not to mention the land needed to store them. I think someone already mentioned that with current tech we would need to convert ridiculous amounts of land into battery farms to make renewable energy anywhere near efficient enough.

Winfarms made in China with much polution, shipped half way around the work to be set idle in a field somewhere just to fill a quota, water turbines damaging marine life and thus exasperating the problems they are trying to fix. Finite fossil fuels being burned and releasing CO2.

The only current feasible option is nuclear, until one of the infinite monkeys getting "climate change" funding manages to produce the complete works of Shakespeare anyway...

Gwadien

What magical containers would they use though and how much damage would they do to the environment in producing said magical containers? Not to mention the land needed to store them. I think someone already mentioned that with current tech we would need to convert ridiculous amounts of land into battery farms to make renewable energy anywhere near efficient enough.

Winfarms made in China with much polution, shipped half way around the work to be set idle in a field somewhere just to fill a quota, water turbines damaging marine life and thus exasperating the problems they are trying to fix. Finite fossil fuels being burned and releasing CO2.

The only current feasible option is nuclear, until one of the infinite monkeys getting "climate change" funding manages to produce the complete works of Shakespeare anyway...
WHAT ABOUT ICELAND

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
WHAT ABOUT ICELAND

Doesn't matter. When the head of the UN says it's a relatively simple engineering problem and he could fix it all with renewables for a very reasonable price yet we still do the same thing then it makes you want to disengage somewhat.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Far too late for an edit.

Or we could stop throwing said "climate change" (its a fucking brand now) money at any old hack "scientist" doing a paper about the quantity of guano on some tropical island somewhere and somehow shoehorning climate change into it, and actually pursue real renewable energy, and real alternatives to fossil fuels and nuclear fusion.

Gwadien

I can see the future

United States of America declares war on Iceland for supporting Terrorism!

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Shooting it into the Sun is the only way to 100% get rid of it but no one wants to be responsible when one of the rocket explodes.
Speaking as someone who plays a lot of Kerbal Space Program, this is harder than it sounds.

Job

Not particularly. What really needs to happen is that the grid needs upgrading and energy storage needs to be more of a thing. Reverse hydroelectric wherever they can do it is one thing, but more tech is needed.

That european supergrid would sure even things out eh. Especially since microproduction is producing so much energy at peak times that they have to give away the electricity "almost for free"....

What's hilarious is the million spent on consultation, endless projections and experts and they completely missed a fundamental problem of fixed home solar panels, this wasn't ..'ooh, we've used the wrong coating' or something, not one fucking person stood up and said...'if they all point south it will be too much of spike'.
I don't care how new the technology is, that is just utter incompetence .
The millions of south facing panels across Europe get most of their power in the middle of the day and they have to throw a lot of it away.

TdC

until the storage problem is solved there is none. still, because there is none now doesn't mean there is non forever. I'm sure the tree-huggers will be thumbing their noses when we ever crack the problem though :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
WHAT ABOUT ICELAND
What about them. Lets shut down all our nuclear power stations and sink Billions into another nations energy plan just so when we run out of fossil fuels and Russia decide not to sell us any of theirs they can just increase the price 10 fold. While there are different nations and our power comes from another nation through International Waters we are at risk and we can not rely on it.

The only current solution for us being self sufficient is Nuclear it is a shame people can't see that. We do not need to use it forever, but we do until we have another solution.

That power station that stores excess power by pumping Water up a hill and then letting it back down when there is high demand does not waste a lot of energy but it takes up so much space to do it nationally would ruin just about every mountain in the country.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Can't we just dump it all in Scotland and then engineer the separation vote and leave them with the problem?
I call that a win :). And Scotland has got a new industry collecting all the worlds waste :)

Job

I guess it wont be that bad if they start putting new ones east-west then it will even out.
Yes an expert worked out to store all the renewable energy peaks we would have to turn every loch and lake in the country into hydroelectric resevoirs

TdC

choices, choices eh. I want to store energy but fuck no do I want to have to look at a hydro-electric power plant (said everyone, ever).

Gwadien

I wonder how much electricity you'd generate if you connected a series of water mills inside your guttering..

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah people complain about wind farms ruining the landscape. Imagine adding one of these to every lake near a hill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

Soze's wiki article said:
The scheme was constructed in the abandoned Dinorwic slate quarry. To preserve the natural beauty of Snowdonia National Park, the power station itself is located deep inside the mountain Elidir Fawr, inside tunnels and caverns.

Read your own articles Soze :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Two pronged approach required as I've always said, nothing else is currently suitable.

Job

You could ask people not to use hot water..we even use it to wash our dishes..and it all goes down the drain..its monumentally wasteful.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Read your own articles Soze :)
Yeah I knew that but to get enough of them to store solar power to cover peak times and whole days or weeks where there is not enough sun nationally there are not enough abandoned quarries. So to build enough they would need to build lakes near hills or spoil existing spots.

TdC

tbh the power-station and dam I visited in New Zealand was fantastically awesome to see. that said, afaict it was about 100km in any direction away from anywhere.

Job

As much as I hate the inherent inefficiency and cost of classic wind turbines, if you keep putting them up like we are eventually they will actually start to make a good amount of power and as Scouse said, tied in with a Euro supergrid to even out the peaks, but there was such an opportunity to do something really clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom