Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hard disagree.

You've got X amount to extract, and you can only discharge it at Y temperature. The X to extract will be the maximum designed extraction limit for the river. Water has a set capacity to transfer heat - therefore given limited in, you've got limited out - and limited cooling capacity.

"Ferrying [water] about in a different manner" isn't going to make fuck all of a difference. They'll need to put the reactors where there's more water.
I'm not saying they'd necessarily be able to do it at the same site. Hence, designed for a different age.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Funny though - when I was complaining about the lack of grid capacity for my planned solar installation (I would like 3-phase to the house and was quoted twenty four grand by the network operator so I don't have to just spunk excess electricity I generate into the ground) the opinion of the Freddies was I should fucking pay for it myself (rather than benefit all from spending my hard-earned on renewable energy generation).

So, I guess the "lack of capacity" holding back green energy rollout is my fault. Pay for it yourselves Freddies.

Anyway:

The UK has the worst insulated houses in Western Europe (and are more reliant on gas, it seems). But again - certain Tory voters don't want us to do the easiest thing and spend money on insulating houses. But funnily enough - they don't seem to be bothered on spending public money on subsidising energy bills - which go into the pockets of energy companies and big shareholders.

People really need to have a proper long hard think about what the tax they pay is actually for, and where it should be going.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The device is estimated to produce up to 93 litres of hydrogen a square metre an hour. “If you have 10 sq metres of this unit, you can power a whole house … to replace your consumption of natural gas at home for cooking and heating,” Li said.
That's a game changer for sure.

I daresay it gets buried. That could change the status quo.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's hugely non-specific that. Suspiciously so.

People support "renewables" - but they don't want big fucking turbines right next to them. And who can blame them when it's so cheap (like 2% more expensive) to put them in the sea.

There's a lot of noise about on-shore wind - but I suspect that's developers fermenting that rather than demand from people.

Solar? There's less to object to - but for people who live right next to fields that will be full of solar that's a valid objection. Wind turbines affect a much larger area though - can be heard for quite some distance (my sister can hear the wind turbines in Liverpool Bay from the shore).

So NIMBYism is kind of valid. Much less so for solar than onshore wind though. And given we can fuck a load of turbines very cheaply in the sea, we should do that, not the other.

Embattle

FH is my second home
In the next 2 years there should be at least another 6 GW of offshore wind farms commissioned with over 12 GW proposed for the following couple of years, so by 2026 that'll be over 18 GW should it all go ahead.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
People support "renewables" - but they don't want big fucking turbines right next to them. And who can blame them when it's so cheap (like 2% more expensive) to put them in the sea.

Offshore wind is double the price of onshore, and just under the price of gas plants.

onshore wind should be our #1 priority.

the reason we havn't built it is that it should go in rural areas on the coast to maximise it, pretty much every rural area in the country is tory and that means nimbyism and it might cost them 10 seats in a GE.
That's literally it, and a bit of corruption taking money from fossil fuel companies and climate change denial "think tanks", funded by fossil fuel companies and billionaires.

Onshore wind electricity average cost would be 4p/kwh.
offshore 8p/kwh.

Instead we replaced our coal plants with gas plants............ and now we're paying the price, simply because the conservatives didn't want to deal with nimbyism in their constituencies.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Offshore wind is double the price of onshore, and just under the price of gas plants.

onshore wind should be our #1 priority.

the reason we havn't built it is that it should go in rural areas on the coast to maximise it, pretty much every rural area in the country is tory and that means nimbyism and it might cost them 10 seats in a GE.
That's literally it, and a bit of corruption taking money from fossil fuel companies and climate change denial "think tanks", funded by fossil fuel companies and billionaires.

Onshore wind electricity average cost would be 4p/kwh.
offshore 8p/kwh.

Instead we replaced our coal plants with gas plants............ and now we're paying the price, simply because the conservatives didn't want to deal with nimbyism in their constituencies.

Surely the offshore ones are more efficient though, as they're fecking huge? I can't see us putting things that big on land...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A long time ago it was but not now. Look at the current strike price for auctions:
1662651851779.png

Onshore wind: £42.47
Offshore Wind: £37.35 (so cheaper - the latest strike price from the most recent round of auctions was £37 - because offshore is so much more efficient).

And it comes without the environmental and back-yard noise issues - which we shouldn't discount.

I'm not a NIMBY - I can't be because they'll never sanction on-shore in the national park. But I still think it's shit for people to have to hear wind turbines (almost as shit as us all having to breath in pollutants (but not quite)). I'm also not NIMBY about solar - I'm going to be doing it myself if I can get it past the national park.

We've a ready made place for all the renewables we need - the sea.

Embattle

FH is my second home
A long time ago it was but not now. Look at the current strike price for auctions:
View attachment 46866

Offshore Wind: £37.35 (so cheaper - the latest strike price from the most recent round of auctions was £37 - because offshore is so much more efficient).

And it comes without the environmental and back-yard noise issues - which we shouldn't discount.

I'm not a NIMBY - I can't be because they'll never sanction on-shore in the national park. But I still think it's shit for people to have to hear wind turbines (almost as shit as us all having to breath in pollutants (but not quite)). I'm also not NIMBY about solar - I'm going to be doing it myself if I can get it past the national park.

We've a ready made place for all the renewables we need - the sea.

Part of the strike price being higher on the onshore side is probably down to no new onshore wind farms being allowed thus the strike price hasn't adjusted.

Although personally I prefer us going all out on offshore first.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Part of the strike price being higher on the onshore side is probably down to no new onshore wind farms being allowed thus the strike price hasn't adjusted.

Although personally I prefer us going all out on offshore first.
It's the efficiency. The new offshore turbines are hewuge.

Shipping them out and tethering them are no longer huge costs. We have production-lined this aspect. I honestly think given the cost similarities we'd be mad to pepper our landscape with turbines.

Solar, on the other hand...

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Offshore wind projects are subsidised, onshore wind are not. Pretty dishonest comparison

1662655482797.png
source: https://www.energy.gov/sites/defaul...wind_market_report_2022_executive_summary.pdf

Onshore:
1662655697096.png

Like I said - unsubsidised the cost is double onshore.

I've walked and cycled past onshore turbines and never been able to hear them from ~200m+ away, a tiny % of the population might live close enough to hear them, but we have people living near airports.
It's just pure nimbyism/house price defence to argue against onshore.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Offshore wind projects are subsidised, onshore wind are not. Pretty dishonest comparison
You're quoting studies from the United States there @ECA. UK strike price - that's the deal, those are the figures for new construction.

However, even if we used your incorrect figures - the (not actually existant) additional cost of offshore more than makes up for the environmental disbenefits - of which noise is only one.

However, to directly refute your costings:

UK has unveiled its biggest round of clean energy subsidies, including for 10 onshore wind projects, signalling a revival for a sector has been virtually banned in the UK in recent years

The results showed that offshore wind has become the cheapest form of clean energy in the UK, beating solar and onshore wind as the least expensive type of renewable power.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
In fact, $32 vs $91 , can we say offshore is TRIPLE the price? not double? so I guess I was wrong ;)

even best case $75, vs avg $31 is more than double.
When it comes to eg electric cars that would reduce cost from pre-ukraine prices of 4-5p/mile down to less than 0.5p/mile.

My ebike cost would be down to <0.02p/mile if it was exclusively onshore wind at that price.

Embattle

FH is my second home
As Scouse said, ours is based off Strike price, in essence a guaranteed minimum.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You're quoting studies from the United States there @ECA. UK strike price - that's the deal, those are the figures for new construction.

You are quoting SUBSIDISED strike prices.

The ft is paywalled btw.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You are quoting SUBSIDISED strike prices.

The ft is paywalled btw.
Nope. That's not how contracts for difference or the subsidy market works in the UK @ECA.

The strike price of £37/mwh is what the UK government guarantees to pay offshore wind farms for generation.

If the market price falls below the contract price, the government subsidises the difference. If the market is higher, the companies pay money back to the government. So right now - with wholesale energy prices going through the roof - windfarms have begun paying back money.

Companies are bidding to build offshore wind at a guaranteed price - i.e. they can make a profit - at £37/mwh. The strike price for onshore is £42.

Onshore is either more expensive to run (hence the higher strike price) - or the government wants to pay more for onshore for some weird reason.

Sorry m8. You're just plain wrong.

Edit: Yes, I know the FT is paywalled if you read more than a couple of articles - which is why I provided the handy quote. It's pretty much there in black and white for you.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's a fucking load of bollocks, that's what it is.

"renewables" need to fuck off until they are cheaper. As it stands, the energy companies have now, essentially, got rid of the development and exploration costs of fossil fuels and increased the sales price, meanwhile everyone feels guilty. If we keep hitting these targets of wow amazeballs, Scotland went fossil free today! WOWOWOW - and bills don't come down, honestly, what's the point to most people?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You may well disagree, @Embattle but all we see is "Oh wow we are building this" "oh look at this new blight on the landscape" See how much renewable energy we are producing?! wowowow.

Here is your £200 bill for the month, fuck off.

Yeah, it's pretty much died a death at this point. Shouldn't have done, but it has.

The energy companies (and our government) are reeming us, charging the same for renewables as gas, fuck the fuck off.

I get my gas and electric off a company that says it gets all its energy from renewables, cost exactly the same as if I went with someone that doesn't (And yes, I understand how the grid works). Where is the incentive? Why should Joe Average care about where his power comes from when it's £200+ a month, regardless of source.

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
There are changes that need to be made, such as unlinking renewables from gas but they are a large part of the present and future.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There are changes that need to be made, such as unlinking renewables from gas but they are a large part of the present and future.

Yes, that's great, but they haven't been unlinked, and they won't be any time soon. So again, what use are renewables to someone trying to keep a warm roof over their families heads?

Lets be honest, we probably don't represent many people, most people here are pretty well paid. I have people at work where I can see the strain they are under. Life is brutal at the moment, for a lot of people. Energy costs being a huge part of that. Oh look, we managed to get a wind turbine running for a few hours, just isn't going to cut it I am afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom