The practice of adding (Spread the Love)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
When two parties are engaged in combat should you attack or not? The practice of attacking and joining the fight is adding. As a practice it has all sorts of views arrayed around it so that when you add you might get the following responses:

“Hey don’t add FFS.” Or “What are you doing Noob!” “To phew! Thanks mate I thought I was done for there!” Or “ty we was going to get creamed by those nasty Mids.”

Disclaimer: You might think that the term 'Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game' refers to massive online battles raging between large armies arrayed on both sides of an arena. You of course were wrong. If you haven’t noticed that it is not like this then please wake up and smell the coffee. That was a marketing ploy most likely made up by someone who probably didn’t even play the game because she had a life. This does not mean that MMPORG’s are some feminist plot….. We digress.

So how do you decide when to add?

These guidelines for the practice of adding are designed as a friendly guide to try and help you decide when you should and should not add on a fight between fellow combatants. As a practice it only applies under certain specific situations and of course it has its exceptions. It will also be broken from time to time but the point is if you ‘add’ according to these basic guidelines we feel you will improve the gaming experience for your fellow players. Ok so when should one add?

The rule of adding applies freely under the following conditions:
1. when there are a large number of combatants ‘camped’ in the same zone you should add freely without hesitation. Where zone is defined in game terms as a location like Hadrian’s wall, Forest Sauvage or “Teh valley of Death” - Emain. ‘Camped’ refers to the practice of ‘hanging’ out around a bridge or tower by groups of largely unorganised players.
2. in the immediate vicinity of a siege, relic raid or tower capture add freely without hesitation
3. where there are odds of 2 to 1 or greater on one side of the combat and if you add you will even the odds, add without hesitation
4. where a support class is being attacked by a combat class

When not to add
a) if you see approximately 2 fgs fighting and conditions 1), 2), 3) and 4) above are not satisfied the practice of adding should be avoided
b) if you see two people fighting and condition 1), 2), 3) and 4) is not satisfied the practice of adding should be avoided

The grey bits
Like every well tanned holiday maker there are bits that remain white and somewhat embarrassing. This does not mean they are feminists because they too can have an all over tan. Once more we digress. Any practice will have grey bits and so tolerance is required. The practice of adding needs to be treated with care. It is therefore with this in mind that we would like to suggest that sometimes it will not be clear when to add and when not to add. This is because one of the conditions may not be totally apparent when the adding happened. If this is the case you might want to consider PM-ing the person involved in the incident and politely asking if you did the right thing.

Finally disagreements will occur adding at the wrong time will occur. Try to learn from these mistakes by talking about it positively. Let’s treat each other with respect so we can all come to Freddy’s house and spread the love.

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
haha class read that - loved it :)

Sharkith said:
Like every well tanned holiday maker there are bits that remain white and somewhat embarrassing. This does not mean they are feminists because they too can have an all over tan.
rofl piss funny tbh :)

Sharkith said:
Finally disagreements will occur adding at the wrong time will occur. Try to learn from these mistakes by talking about it positively. Let’s treat each other with respect so we can all come to Freddy’s house and spread the love.
GROUP HUGS :D

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
This needed a new thread! Really.

Sharkith said:
4. where a support class is being attacked by a combat class

Why? They wouldn't run around alone if they didn't expect/want a fight...

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
stupeh said:

Why? They wouldn't run around alone if they didn't expect/want a fight...

On the first point - I thought it did hence the post.

On the second point - it is a case of fairness and the term support suggests that they might be trying to get somewhere to 'support'.

Of course they are only guidelines but I am guessing that 'in the main' when people play support classes that they are not often looking for solo fights they are usually trying to get quickly to realm mates etc.

....not all feminists use support, but of course that is their choice.

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
Well they'd probably go out with a group, no? Besides, some support chars can win solo fights. ^^

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
stupeh said:
Well they'd probably go out with a group, no? Besides, some support chars can win solo fights. ^^

Most probably would but what if your a person with a zerg and you had to get to a relic raid or a keep take? You would most likely be solo. So adding to help a solo druid or whatever out would be fine.

I am also sure some solo support classes do win 1 vs 1 (especially if they are feminists) but the exception in this instance merely reinforces the rule. If you followed these guidelines for practising adding this would result in less qq than not adding on all support versus tank fights no?

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
Well, in my opinion, i'd leave any 1v1, support class or not.

Watchh

One of Freddy's beloved
Good post really

Sharkith said:
Finally disagreements will occur adding at the wrong time will occur. Try to learn from these mistakes by talking about it positively. Let’s treat each other with respect

This is the most important part, If people hold grudges because others (accidentally or on purpose) added, you will get locked in an eternal circle of adding. Forgive & Forget

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
Well we all know why you're saying that Mzn, don't we? :p

Larc

Fledgling Freddie
If you don't add when your realmmate is losing a 1vs1 battle, essentially you are a rp whore that wants all the rps yourself. (Finishing the enemy off after your realm mate has died, expl. for the weakminded)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Larc said:
If you don't add when your realmmate is losing a 1vs1 battle, essentially you are a rp whore that wants all the rps yourself. (Finishing the enemy off after your realm mate has died, expl. for the weakminded)

the guidelines allow for you to 'save your realm mate' as long as he is in the zergy area. Otherwise the suggestion is simply to hold back if you are not. Surely the compormise it suggests is reasonable? It means that true soloers could go seek out soloable areas.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Watchh said:
Good post really

This is the most important part, If people hold grudges because others (accidentally or on purpose) added, you will get locked in an eternal circle of adding. Forgive & Forget

Yes I agree the 'law of adding' is different to the practise of adding. Important distinction. Feminists add as well. You have to be careful of feminists.

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
Larc said:

What if you don't kill them after? Then will you be called an x-realmer? ;O

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
stupeh said:

Stupeh :),

you are of course free to your own individual approach. All I was doing was trying to make the debate a positive one instead of the constant whine. I actually think I could work around these guidelines - would you say they promote a more positive discussion than the current situation of non definition whine qq etc.?

Silverbirch

Fledgling Freddie
stupeh said:

I actually think it needs a new section, so you'd have the exisitng rvr section which would be called 'rvr 1' (gratz threads and stuff) and then the new home of whine 'rvr 2' (adding threads). It would at least allow the opportunity for peeps who would prefer not to have to suffer the viewing of gratuitous adding threads, the choice. I thank you.

stupeh

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
Stupeh :),

you are of course free to your own individual approach. All I was doing was trying to make the debate a positive one instead of the constant whine. I actually think I could work around these guidelines - would you say they promote a more positive discussion than the current situation of non definition whine qq etc.?

Well, it's an idea, though i don't think any kind of guidlines, even loose ones will be much good, as everyone will want to do their own thing, it is, however, better than the usual posts.

pip

Banned
in need of some fast ml xp forgive me if i add in the next 24 hrs :(

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Silverbirch said:
I actually think it needs a new section, so you'd have the exisitng rvr section which would be called 'rvr 1' (gratz threads and stuff) and then the new home of whine 'rvr 2' (adding threads). It would at least allow the opportunity for peeps who would prefer not to have to suffer the viewing of gratuitous adding threads, the choice. I thank you.
Good call silver except lets have three - 1) people actually care about this rvr section 2) where the grats threads go 3) where the add whines go :)

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Interesting thread, I think you have issues with feminists! :)

I especially like condition 4! :)
I have 3ish support characters, 2 clerics and a minstrel. Minstrel will be able to move around safely anyway, but my clerics, well, one of them will be able to save himself from a stealther if he's lucky and the stealther doesn't purge the mezz. :p However, my other cleric will be dead meat to anything but a grey con.

stupeh said:
Then I hope you're not on my realm, not helping my cleric when some evil stealther decides to poke at me. :(

Adianna

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
Good call silver except lets have three - 1) people actually care about this rvr section 2) where the grats threads go 3) where the add whines go :)

The first one would be really empty.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Silverbirch said:

I agree. I got bored with adding round in circles and tried to clarify the discussions in a summary. Sadly it is not likely to have any major effect. So I decided to also have a go at feminists. That is not likely to have an effect either....

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Deepflame said:
Interesting thread, I think you have issues with feminists! :)

They are a bigger threat than adding! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom