Ping plotting fun!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
In some feeble attempt to work out whats going on in the world of internet connections to Paris im having a play with pingplotter. :m00:

Attached is a picture of a plot I made this morning, check it out, tell me what you think. If your in the know please answer these questions too.. :clap:

1). What adress should I be pinging?

2). Does it make a difference if im interested in Gorre or Excalibur?

3). What frequency should I use, im guessing 1 second (the fastest this software seems to do) as our game would probably be suceptable to even smaller intervals?

and your bonus question for an all expenses paid holiday for two in the bogs of cullen:-

4). Does the attached plot tell you why I go linkdead without warning after 1-15 mins of play ever time today? (I went LD during this sample, 2 machines on my home network at once, I think where the big red line was on the time graph).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pplot.PNG
    pplot.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 291

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Similar spread tonight but hop 12 giving around 25-30% PL.

Herjulf

Banned
yeah what you see is sporadic packetloss at wanadoo.

I see the same thing, when tracerouting from a shell i have in germany.
My ISP blocks ICMP traffic so i wont get outside my ISP´s gateway for pingplotters so i could only present to goa a long traceroute with 100 samples from my german nix shell.

The problem with wanadoo is that i dont have constant packetloss, it occurs for a long duration 14seconds or more once or twice or thrice an hour, it have a chance to cause LD kinda like MoPain it has a chance to cause LD ^^.
Biggest chance for LD´s are for those who use ADSL, dont ask me why it is something with ADSL that make them more sensitive for these disturbances.

Sometimes it becomes a long period of problems, maybe once or twice a day or so.

Why this is, my strongest guesses are two.

Prioritising, the nodes in question are under heavy stress, packets ----> null
Routing/switching table instability. Due to heavy load "cost" of routing makes route pathing change, reoccuring. this can give these "effects" several seconds long 100% packetloss.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers,

oh Rightnow sent me some of the info I require, so if anyones interstested guess perhaps this info should be posted where peeps can see (was it posted elsewhere, must have missed it...)

Hello,

Please send us an analysis of your connection on our servers :

- you will find the soft you must use on the following address:
http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_2.exe

Here are the indications for this soft’s use :

1) Type the IP address to test (type it in the field "Address to Trace")

for the patch server :
for Excalibur: 193.252.123.33
for Pridwen : 193.252.123.177

2) Set the Trace Interval on 5 seconds

3) Click on the Trace button

4) Let it run during 10 minutes then click on Stop (don’t close pingplotter until you haven’t reach the point 8 of this message).

5) Make sure to open the pingplotter window in full screen mode

6) Do a graphic copy of your results :

- in pingplotter open the menu Edit/Copy as Image.
- go to the start menu/accessories/paint and open the soft Paint (or your favourite soft for photos and pictures)
- menu Edit/Paste
- menu fichier/enregistrer sous
- choose a name and a destination directory where to save the file
- select the type JPEG
- then click on « save »

7) At last, save the results in a text file :

- in pingplotter go to the Edit/ Copy as Text menu
- open a text editor (Wordpad or Windows notepad will be fine) then choose the menu edit/paste
- save the document in a text format (txt).

8) Attach all the files created during steps 6 and 7 to your next message.

Do a test when you have no problems of lag then do other tests when these lags or disconnections occur. (you will have of course to quit the game).

Yours Sincerely,
----------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Similar spread tonight but hop 12 giving around 25-30% PL.

50-60% for the last 10 minutes, cant stay on for more than 5 mins. Goodbye sweet rvr grp :(

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Pingplot for just now.

ANYONE SPOT WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? oops caps ;

Attachments

• fecked.PNG
    fecked.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 154

slaaght

Fledgling Freddie
I did some testing last night which concurs with that.

Between midnight and one, I guess I went LD about 10 times. On a run from ATK in Odins to HMG, I went LD 4 times :O

I had my PC and a laptop logged in at the same time and both went LD at the same time.

I notice in pingplotter the route to target changed A LOT ... like 4 times a minute at some points. Surely that's not normal? Routes should be fairly static over ther course of a couple of hours if all is healthy?

Boni, do you think it's worth publicising pointers to this thread in the Alb/Hib/Mid topics to get more people involved?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Uhm

Boni said:
In some feeble attempt to work out whats going on in the world of internet connections to Paris im having a play with pingplotter. :m00:

Attached is a picture of a plot I made this morning, check it out, tell me what you think. If your in the know please answer these questions too.. :clap:

1). What adress should I be pinging?

2). Does it make a difference if im interested in Gorre or Excalibur?

3). What frequency should I use, im guessing 1 second (the fastest this software seems to do) as our game would probably be suceptable to even smaller intervals?

and your bonus question for an all expenses paid holiday for two in the bogs of cullen:-

4). Does the attached plot tell you why I go linkdead without warning after 1-15 mins of play ever time today? (I went LD during this sample, 2 machines on my home network at once, I think where the big red line was on the time graph).

Thanks in advance.

Reason of your LDs is the frigging % of packet losses showed by Wanadoo Router tbh.
They just plain crap.

slaaght

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
Reason of your LDs is the frigging % of packet losses showed by Wanadoo Router tbh.
They just plain crap.

Exactly, but we need to give them some stats to back it up from lots of people, rather than just saying "they are crap" we need to give them pointers to the problem.

Sitting in GOA headquarters, it all probably looks fine, it could be the link from the UK to France, whatever, that's why we need ping plots from people who aren't going LD or getting lag to try to work out the difference.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Uhm

slaaght said:
Exactly, but we need to give them some stats to back it up from lots of people, rather than just saying "they are crap" we need to give them pointers to the problem.

Sitting in GOA headquarters, it all probably looks fine, it could be the link from the UK to France, whatever, that's why we need ping plots from people who aren't going LD or getting lag to try to work out the difference.

Been there, done that. Only thing that works is to send directly to Opentransit Network Support. Sometimes they care sometimes not, been times when i had 800 ms mark on response from their network and they fixed it (day after twice, in a week the other time).
U wont move in any manner GOA to do anything for ya, they simply don't care, or they'd just monitor the thing from inside their network (involves just a frigging sniffer on 24/7 over the router port) the very 1st compliant customers thrown at em.
It's always the same when (formerly) 2 firms are involved in a service u pay, they will throw accuses at each other and u wont have a service.
Sadly only way to deal with it is send Opentransit and when, ofc, u'll become bored of this crap, just hit cancel button on your sub.

slaaght

Fledgling Freddie
Played last night for a couple of hours from 23:00 till maybe 01:00, no LD at all, on two machines.

Much better than any time in the last week or so. Reckon they've fixed it, or just lucky?

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
slaaght said:
Played last night for a couple of hours from 23:00 till maybe 01:00, no LD at all, on two machines.

Much better than any time in the last week or so. Reckon they've fixed it, or just lucky?

I got a nice packetloss free plot this morning, was on for 3hrs no lds.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Got the same here tonight. Four hours, no LD's, no packet loss, no changes of routing.

Some lag, but not in opentransit

Darzil

slaaght

Fledgling Freddie
Same again last night, no LD problems again.

I notice one other major change in Ping Plotter ... in the Route Changes column on the left it has now settled down and has only changed once yesterday and no times today. Prior to that, the route to host was changing very regularly sometimes a couple of times a minute. That can't be good.

WanadooPortails.GW.opentransit.net is looking good now (that's what I'd have money on being at fault) and so are all the other opentransit routers. Occasionally have a packet loss of 1% or so, but so do the Telewest routers at my end.

Slipurson

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
U wont move in any manner GOA to do anything for ya, they simply don't care, or they'd just monitor the thing from inside their network (involves just a frigging sniffer on 24/7 over the router port) the very 1st compliant customers thrown at em....

They cant just place a sniffer on the port.. they need to see it from many ppl and many diff locations

I for one doesnt have much problems with lag or LDs, i might get some 2-3 sec of [RED] [RED] [GREEN] now and then (2-3 times/week) and i think i play fairly much anyway (5-6 hours each night on diff times).

i am not saying that the problems is at the "users" end.. but i am sure that it isnt the same for everyone..

Vireb

Fledgling Freddie
after lding like 20x in a row im running itnow everything is fine till it gets to open transit london then gets worse and worse :p ill put up screen dumps in second

Vireb

Fledgling Freddie
pryping.JPG

Txt result

over ten mins wouldve ld'd 4 times or more :(

jokke

Fledgling Freddie
slaaght said:
we need ping plots from people who aren't going LD or getting lag to try to work out the difference.

id like to meet that man :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
anyone who plays from the greater paris area who isnt routes through OTs international backbone experience no lag - aka all GOA employees.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Chilly said:
anyone who plays from the greater paris area who isnt routes through OTs international backbone experience no lag - aka all GOA employees.
Spot on.
As an example here is my pingplot when connecting from home. The first step is my router which doesn't return ping requests hence the 100% packetloss.

Attachments

• 193.252.123.177.gif
    193.252.123.177.gif
    13 KB · Views: 33

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
For the last two weeks i have been suffereing constant ld`s...

my equipment consists of a 2 computers, a usr 8000A router, a toshiba cable modem, my isp is telenet.be

I am suffering link deads at a rate of roughly 1 an hour, some days i could swear they occur with intervals of exactly 1 hour.

pingplotter tells me that every such a ld is accompanied by a 20 sec period of 100% package loss.

usually, both computers suffer ld at exactly the same time.

today i tried just throwing out the network and connecting 1 pc directly to the cable modem, and apparanly no more ld`s happened... not been able to test long enough to verify if all the problems seem caused by a router that for the rest apparantly performs perfectly...

it never acts weird for the purpose networking or browsing and i don`t play any other online games...

I just don`t understand what is happening.

is there anyone who knows what could cause this ? dhcp problems or so ?

Also, pingplotter tells met that route changes occur at almost every querry done by pingplotter which i consider very strange... strangely this only happens when i get connected through london, not when connected through stutghart (or frankfurt, some german thingy) i dunno if this affects anything, but just appears strang to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom