Zedenk's Outlook on Prydwen Economy [Discussion]

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Ok so, it seems that the general figure of compensation being thrown around is 75plat, now what I want to know is who came up with that? Let’s look at it in depth.

Before the crash there were two categories of people pretty much on Prydwen, using a GOV as an example we can catalogue these as:

GOV on CM for 40plat

The types of people who will actually pay that are the types of people who can’t afford to, those who can afford to would never pay it anyway as they’ll just farm it themselves.

Enter server shutdown, compensation comes out in amounts of 50-75p or whatever, now when you stop to think about it...75p is still an obscene amount of cash, even in today’s DAoC. Certainly way more then is actually needed to refund the loss of a suit of MP Armour and some rogs. Now obviously there is the element of “compensation” integrated into that payout too I’m sure, but that is not without consequences.

You have to think into the future slightly, a month down the line when the dust has settled over the crash, there are certain people who are going to end up gaining considerable amounts over this, those who lost stuff on several characters.

Now you can try to stop it all you want, but the simple fact is when people see that certain folk have more disposable cash available to them then prices will rise on the CM, so who does this affect?

Well it affects those from Population A (those who would splash out on the GoV but can’t really afford to) who didn’t lose anything from the server crash, thus received no additional cash. Those people will simply get poorer and poorer as CM prices rise and they still try to splash out on items they cannot simply afford. Where as those from Population B (mostly the farmers, those who can afford to splash but don’t) will simply get richer and richer as their merchant prices have risen.

So quite simply put, we’re in for interesting times on Prydwen. You can however see this in a different light, as price inflation will prepare you for the sensationally different economy that Excalibur boasts, however as I said previously, there are those who stand to lose.

Trying times indeed. Discuss!

PS: Sorry for the way it was written, was fairly rushed! :p

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
The price for replacing an item comes from 2 parts:
  • Actual price to pay for the item
  • The amount of money you would earn in daoc in the time you spend on replacing the item. Other values (xp, rp) etc. can be assigned a monetary value, and they can also make you faster at earning money later.
In several cases, like crafting MPs, farming, etc. the secound part of the price is more important than the first part of price. In case of this down time, a stripped character is out of action for days. Even if the item value missing is just 10p, you spend a week on getting items back: You would earn plats, xp, rp, arti xp, mlxp, etc. in this time, and all can be assinged a monetary value. And with clustering coming this can influence game balance on the cluster significantly. For this reason, to reduce the overal costs, it is better if you start with more money, and can afford a fast replacement, but this is just one part of the picture.

The other part is harder: We have several characters affected, and they want to buy items, and there is a huge demand, and a low supply of items, less people can go farming, and more need the items => costs increase rapidly, and people also want to get even higher prices when cluster happens. So compensation should also have increased prices factored in.

For your ideas: Lots of the people won a lots of money on these items, and lots of farmers lost money on it. Imagine people who enjoy toa stuff and glad to help others with farming, but doesn't keep much items, don't sell them, but help friends. People who enjoy the raids, and happy if their set is good for the raids, and happy to help the friends, and lost a considerable amount of items. With rog tickets and waiting, they can't do much, and hit by a financial disaster. And they face a financial disaster. Their cash reserves are low as well.

Should I name a few other groups? People who leveling are one of them, etc. :)

Chanusi

Regular Freddie
I agree with zedenk,seems a rather large arbitrary amount to compensate with,considering ive never had more than 20p across all char's.
will screw up economy somewhat at least in short-term,and i imagine crafted gear will have some price increases for a time also :m00:

Cylian

Can't get enough of FH
not to bothered about it, never got money to spend anyway :D

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
it will also effect Excal when (if) clustering happens as you will have a massive amount of money dropped into excal with its large amount of items, people will stick thier prices up sky high as the rarer items will be very much in demand.

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
it will also effect Excal when (if) clustering happens as you will have a massive amount of money dropped into excal with its large amount of items, people will stick thier prices up sky high as the rarer items will be very much in demand.

excal prices are stupidly high anyway, an extra 70 odd plat each will make it so we can actually buy some nereid pots come cluster!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I guess an interesting thing will be how much people are willing to pay crafters for the MP's they want. My 99% chain still isn't moving at less than average cost.

Not that I'll be one of the crafters. After all that break, I'm not planning to spend my leisure hours doing something as boring as crafting for MP's !

Used to get lots of complaints about prices that made me a couple of 200 gold an hour profit for MPs.

With that sort of compensation kicking around, even people who couldn't afford MP armour can now. So the 99% market will be even smaller (if possible), and any crafters who can stomach the extended boredom could clean up.

Darzil

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Used to get lots of complaints about prices that made me a couple of 200 gold an hour profit for MPs.

You made a profit? Thought you still earn less money while crafting, than while doing something else, and you had to invest money in crafting and try to get the lost money back. How do you make real profits on crafting?

Outlander

Part of the furniture
bigchief said:
excal prices are stupidly high anyway, an extra 70 odd plat each will make it so we can actually buy some nereid pots come cluster!
agree with that, excal prices are silly for a lot of things imo.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Come clustering on IRC there will probably be a new channel dedicated to inter-server trading of scrolls, artis and the likes, where excals farmers will charge excal+20% to prydwenites. Having said this, is 75p really a lot, judging from my template alone, if I bought the items and scrolls:

GSV- free
Bences Letters: 13p (at the time)
Shiatan Wind Bracer: Rare, 20pish ML7 drop
Mariashas gloves: free
Mariashas scrolls: 3P
Madenning Scalars: 5p (at the time)
Mad Tales: 30p
Shades of Mist: 6P (at the time)
Regarding Shades: 25p
3 x MP armour + SCing and Alch work: 12p

Add in winged helm, dreamsphere, belt of the sun, time and effort doing quests and MLs.....75p isnt a lot really is it. Whoever is runnign the ML raids on pryd these days, is gonna have a lot of business too. Then you have spawn rates like cloudsong...

Not a good situation at all here, but clustering could work to help pryds economy, my experience with alb pryd and mid excal, pryd had bugger all on CMs, while excal has plenty to offer.

Brite

Banned
old.Whoodoo said:
Come clustering on IRC there will probably be a new channel dedicated to inter-server trading of scrolls, artis and the likes, where excals farmers will charge excal+20% to prydwenites. Having said this, is 75p really a lot, judging from my template alone, if I bought the items and scrolls:

GSV- free
Bences Letters: 13p (at the time)
Shiatan Wind Bracer: Rare, 20pish ML7 drop
Mariashas gloves: free
Mariashas scrolls: 3P
Madenning Scalars: 5p (at the time)
Mad Tales: 30p
Shades of Mist: 6P (at the time)
Regarding Shades: 25p
3 x MP armour + SCing and Alch work: 12p

Add in winged helm, dreamsphere, belt of the sun, time and effort doing quests and MLs.....75p isnt a lot really is it. Whoever is runnign the ML raids on pryd these days, is gonna have a lot of business too. Then you have spawn rates like cloudsong...

Not a good situation at all here, but clustering could work to help pryds economy, my experience with alb pryd and mid excal, pryd had bugger all on CMs, while excal has plenty to offer.

anyone that charges 20% extra to prydwen players will most likely never sell anything due to them being a complete childish twat that some how thinks prydwen players would of rather had plats than there server completely fucked up

if prices are too high people will just go out and farm themselves, which means more stuff on the market which will lower prices, so its just going to take time for prices to settle down from the intitial OMG OMG OMG PLATS IRL!

maybe you dont see stuff on CM because on excal theres going to be loads on at rediculous prices that no one will buy and on prydwen, most have already been sold because they arnt asking for both your kidneys, in a strange way this may have helped the balence between excal prices and prydwen prices, but it still sucks, and any excal players complaining about this needs there head seeing to in a number of ways

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
TBH the power of free trade will pre-vail - I will never pay more than I have to for any item - I see some items for sale on CMs at insane prices, but I also notice that they never sell - and ppl who go high will always be undercut - it would take every CM owner a combined effort to force prices up - that I don't see happening - I for one will look at everyone elses price for an item and unercut it - I then get all the sales :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Esselinithia said:
You made a profit? Thought you still earn less money while crafting, than while doing something else, and you had to invest money in crafting and try to get the lost money back. How do you make real profits on crafting?
Make a nice amount of money salvaging stuff cause of able to do top tier materials, but I've not really made much from craft orders tbh. :(

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Might be different on Prydwen, but although 75-100p is a decent amount of cash, it'll get swallowed up by the ridiculous prices on Excal. 100p is 1-2 top items or maybe 5 decent items. No doubr some people will try to take the piss, but I wouldn't worry about 'breaking' the economy since the marked on Excal is so screwed right now.

Ring of Zahur - 50/60p
Band of Shadow - 10p
GoV - 30p

Then you just need the other 20p+ for GoV scrolls :/

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Jaem- said:
Make a nice amount of money salvaging stuff cause of able to do top tier materials, but I've not really made much from craft orders tbh. :(

Interesting, my 3 LGM crafters on prydwen have the similar feelings, except alchemist and SCer can't even salvage :D

Corran

Part of the furniture
Killswitch said:
Might be different on Prydwen, but although 75-100p is a decent amount of cash, it'll get swallowed up by the ridiculous prices on Excal. 100p is 1-2 top items or maybe 5 decent items. No doubr some people will try to take the piss, but I wouldn't worry about 'breaking' the economy since the marked on Excal is so screwed right now.

Ring of Zahur - 50/60p
Band of Shadow - 10p
GoV - 30p

Then you just need the other 20p+ for GoV scrolls :/

I got about 6 zahur rings at only around 40plat atm. Already would be a good saving :p

And pryd you have BoS going for about 6-7plat most time if on market

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
its called supply and demand, shit loads of cash, not many items, ofc they are going to cost more.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, I make some money crafting Masterpiece orders. Not a huge deal, but some.

I've done enough sets over the last 2 years since I hit LGM to pay for what I spent getting there. As you say, though, it's not even close to what I would make from going and farming stuff.

Only time I take orders these days is if I have a day or days coming up where I have no work to do, and stuff to do that involves being in a room doing something else other than crafting. Crafting for an hour a piece (or whatever), so someone can have a couple of % more resists, that may swing one fight in 200 isn't my idea of good payback !

Darzil

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Quicker we get clustering the better - so you can spend all of prydwens cash on excal's CM's :) SC'er at the ready for you all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom