FAO - GOA & Everyone

Maddius

One of Freddy's beloved
Was about to go to bed and got an e-mail from 'GOA' so I open it, and it's about changing my account password etc, I'm like wait a minute I didn't ask to change them... the e-mail reads...

Dear user ,
You have submited a password change request . Click here and you will be forwarded to a password change form.

If you aren`t the person who submited the request , submit a complaint here and we will investigate this fraud attempt.

Warning : NEVER communicate your passwords.You will be asked fot them by members of the Dark Age of Camelot - Europe team only in actions against fraud
Dark Age of Camelot - Europe team
http://www.camelot-europe.com/

Now the link to the submit a complaint bit, got me to the dodgest website ever, just a black website with a few fields in it, asking me for me e-mail account and it's password, and my game account / subs - how about no... I'm pretty sure this is a scam if not it's very dodgey, the e-mail came from noreply@goa.com - so I have no idea really, i'm not gonna put my information in because - why would I? Anyways :touch:

P.S
Maybe it's GOA bad translation, but some of the spelling and punctuation is all wrong, and I don't think they would write it like that, I will try and contact them myself with this via right now, just thought i'd put the word out, to watch out.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
It is a hoax.

If you click on the link given it takes you to a fake form. Resolving the IP address of this site gives:

* Dns resolving 140.136.12.31
-
* Dns resolved 140.136.12.31 to roy1231.lm.fju.edu.tw

Taiwan? I think not.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Maddius said:
noreply@goa.com - so I have no idea really, i'm not gonna put my information in because - why would I? Anyways :touch:

It fairly easy to fake a email message from someone, all you need to know is the correct RAW SMTP commands to do it. The header information gives a lot more information of where it really originated from.

:m00:

Jimmi

Fledgling Freddie
Got the exact same emails!!!!!!

Look at screenies:

671.jpg

68f.jpg

Config

Fledgling Freddie
Here is the one handeling the domain:

person: TANET ADMIN
address: Ministry of Education computer Center
address: 12F, No 106, Sec. 2, Heping E. Rd., Taipei
address: Taipei Taiwan
phone: +886-2-2737-7010 ext. 305
fax-no: +886-2-2737-7043
e-mail: tanetadm@moe.edu.tw
nic-hdl: TA61-AP
mnt-by: MAINT-TW-TWNIC
changed: hostmaster@twnic.net 20020507

can try to email the admin about the hoax but netlaws over there might be a bit diffrent so they probebly wont do anything about it

Config

Fledgling Freddie
I must say its a pathetic "try" to copy mythics subscription site lol

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
how did they get your email-addy to begin with? I've gotten no such mails on any of my mailaccounts :p

I doubt whoever they are just send out mails to a billion people hoping to hit a few random daoc-players.

but of course, scamattempt.. report to real GOA

.. edit.. see the typo in their mail? "you will be asked fot it by .."

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
Also been highlighted by the Herald too :

Another incredibly lame scam attempt. This one wasn't aimed at US server players, but GOA customers:

"Dear user,
You have submited [sic] a password change request. Click here and you will be forwarded to a password change form.

If you aren't the person who submited [sic] the request, submit a complaint here and we will investigate this fraud attempt."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either "here" takes you to a silly webpage asking you to enter your subscription name and password, along with your email information. If you succumb to the temptation to fill in that form with account name "biteme," password "youmonkey," it takes you to a slightly more sinister page - an attempt to get your credit card and billing information. Not that I would ever succumb to such temptation. Really, as if anyone would fall for that.

Furthermore, when I delved the header of this email, it was painfully OBVIOUS it didn't come from GOA. It didn't come from the poor schmuck on the return path, either. At any rate, should you receive this email, please ignore it.

Thats the info from Sanya peeps :D

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Had same email sent to my BB account, thought it looked dodgy.

Aussie

Banned
I didn't get one, thank god.

I just wonder how the email list got leaked ..........

and what else ..

Kelan

Fledgling Freddie
Really does make you wonder what exactly is going on in goa Hq in France. :eek6:

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
dident have one yet but how did they got those email adresses ? :eek:

Marc

FH is my second home
I got it too, was i right in just deleting the email straight away?

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Yes just delete it.

And they didn't get the official emails they got my forum/junk email address. I just wonder how they know I got a DAoC account. (I also got my email address on not open so they either got some hack to check forum emails or they checked 1 at a time, which is sad).

Lorra

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe GOA have been hackorzed, and thats why the servers are runing lame, because some dude taking all there info...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Lorra said:
Maybe GOA have been hackorzed, and thats why the servers are runing lame, because some dude taking all there info...

except instead of sending to those email addresses he's sending to other random addresses just to keep you on edge... (see Khale's post)

Lorra

Fledgling Freddie
ahwell, i a computer noob anyway, i just persumed that when you get hacked you run slow because someone is "raping" your pc, nevermind...

Config

Fledgling Freddie
LordjOX said:
Wonder where the fck they got my email tho :|

They or he or she or it probebly went through your email addys manually in this forum by checking your profiles since its just some people who have got the hoax email.

Its kinda simple to do this hoax, harder is to fake it in flash whitch GOAs subscription page is (you all know how it looks like). What this hoax did was, saving your subscription info into a file and then linked you to a site (on the same server) where you could type in payment information aka. your visacardnumber etc. and saved that info to another file and then linked you to IGNs site.

The one who did this probebly rooted (hacked) the unixserver from where the IP is going to and put up a webbserver (can be done in a small program). After a while he goes into the server and get the files where people have typed in the subscription information and paymentinformation.

In a big picture it works something like i described above.

So, the best way is just to ignore if you get emails like this. Even if it looks 100 % lookalike GOAs subscription site be very suspicious about it (YOU only get a respond mail if YOU have demanded it example, changed passwords).

If someone did fall for this trick (which i hope no one did) you better contact GOA about it. If you did type in payment information, contact your bank and NEVER EVER fall for tricks like this again :)

I type this info to people who might not have so good computer knowledge or about hoaxes like this.

popa

Fledgling Freddie
i dont get it :( damn yahoo give me that to soo i can mail u goa some 1 take my acc and give u some work
<popa slap goa's lazzy ass>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom