WoW specific feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi guys,

looking to work with Yoni and Fuzzy on the structure for this forum, so I wanted a bit of feedback.

Firstly, this will NOT end up like the whinefest that is the DAOC areas, and we will be backing Fuzzylogic up in taking a firm stance on people's posting. Keep it on topic, think before you type, avoid stupid flaming (obviously there will be some but keep it within reason) and all will be well :)

Secondly, we need input on which subforums should be considered... I am tentatively thinking of having just 2 sub forums to begin with for Alliance and Horde, with this main area intact for more general discussion. That said, I know jack shit about the game so suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jup.

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> Firstly, this will NOT end up like the whinefest that is the DAOC areas

Good plan! However, other than outright banning words like "nerf" and "overpowered", how are we going to prevent whinefest from coming to be?

> I am tentatively thinking of having just 2 sub forums to begin with for
> Alliance and Horde

An obvious addition for those would be a common "Proffessions" forum for crafters.

The real problem, however, is that communities will eventually be server-based. With DAoC it was easy - only 3 severs. Once WoW goes retail, the number of servers is going to be higher.. Having set of forums per each server would scatter FH population too thin for server based forums to be viable. That's still 1,5 month away tho.

Ottar

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
Ottar said:
The real problem, however, is that communities will eventually be server-based. With DAoC it was easy - only 3 severs. Once WoW goes retail, the number of servers is going to be higher.. Having set of forums per each server would scatter FH population too thin for server based forums to be viable. That's still 1,5 month away tho.

This will be definitley be biggest problem, I think the Americans nearly have 70 servers. Maybe have some server specific forums, perhaps just the English servers (as some of the euro ones are gonna be french/german) and maybe just the pvp servers? Although this could still be 10 servers.

Tough call

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Well if we have an amount of servers similar to the U.S or even more then simply Alliance/Horde will make it harder for people to identify threads that may be of their interest, as you won't be able to trust most people to put server name in the thread title.

How about a PvP/PvE server split with their respective Alliance/Horde subs.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Imo

-General WoW discussion
-General PvP discussion
-Class discussion (?) (Might not be enuff WoW'ers that use FH to sustain this)
--The classes

-Server specific discussion (servers with many FH users) (Problem may be too many FH ppl spread on too many servers)
--Trading?
--Raiding (PvE)?

Just a thought

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well the likelihood will be we won't have server specific areas on that basis because it would dilute the FH population too much, in my view. This means we would need to aim for suitable sub-forums outside of dividing by server such as:

Crafting Discussion
Class Specific Discussion
Newbies and Quest Guides (spoiler zone)
Raid Announcements (users must post server/date/time in thread title)

These are just initial ideas with Yoni's help... more comments?

Edit: I love cross-posting fun :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Dont fancy the Quest Guide idea that much tbh, main fun is to find out the quests by yourselves instead of having the need of turning to a page and get a walkthrough handed on a silver platter on your lap.
At least divide into so you dont get to much tempted :p
I know WoW quests sumtimes can be abit annoying finding mobs etc, but the quest log really gives alot of info. Nothing annoys me more than people asking for the simplest of things, just read the quest description and all the wayposts and find out stuff for yourself farks sake :(

An idea would be dividing it into

-Newbies
-Quest guides (SPOILERS!!!!!) - for the lazy people :p

Tilda

Jupitus said:
Well the likelihood will be we won't have server specific areas on that basis because it would dilute the FH population too much, in my view. This means we would need to aim for suitable sub-forums outside of dividing by server such as:

Crafting Discussion
Class Specific Discussion
Raid Announcements (users must post server/date/time in thread title)

These are just initial ideas with Yoni's help... more comments?

Edit: I love cross-posting fun :)
I agree with these.
I'd vote against the seperate server forums, and seperate class forums because they wont get used enough, even the WoW EU class forums have only 1-2 pages of posts.
I'd go for:

WoW general
Crafting Discussion
Class Specific Discussion (1 general forum, not seperate forums for each class)
Possibly a trading forum too? je ne sais pas!
I'm against the idea of a raids forum as i simply dont think it will be used enough, i'd suggest that we can always make one if its needed, later.

Tilda

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Hi guys,

looking to work with Yoni and Fuzzy on the structure for this forum, so I wanted a bit of feedback.

Firstly, this will NOT end up like the whinefest that is the DAOC areas, and we will be backing Fuzzylogic up in taking a firm stance on people's posting. Keep it on topic, think before you type, avoid stupid flaming (obviously there will be some but keep it within reason) and all will be well :)

Secondly, we need input on which subforums should be considered... I am tentatively thinking of having just 2 sub forums to begin with for Alliance and Horde, with this main area intact for more general discussion. That said, I know jack shit about the game so suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jup.

3 forums like you describe will be the best way to go imo.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
The biggest thing about the daoc community was that GOA, when they shut down their official forums, effectively pushed the entire English speaking community onto the FH forums (ie, anyone who plays on Exc/Pryd or Camlann), making them very busy and requiring the server forums plus various trade/RvR/Off Topic subforums.

I could think of a lot of subforums to go in here, though if it doesn't have the numbers to support it, as Ottar said, it'd only serve to split the community into bitesize chunks, and that makes FuzzyLogic a sad pandaren ;)

Also, to add to the stance on whineage, to put it in perspective; On the DAoC forums, if you're run over by some abnormal number of players in the middle of the night, it's likely that you post on whichever RvR forum is relevant and that the same people who ran you over can make a rebuttal, or that a class whine might for odd reason make a difference (it wouldn't anyway btw). All well and done there but we don't encapsulate the whole of the WoW community (thank the lord :p), if you really wanted to get the point across to the developers, you'd mention it on the blizzard forums, judging by them, probably dozens of times, heh :)

What we have here is an isolated community that would best serve itself through civil conversation. Argue all you like, the place would be boring if we lived in some utopian star trek like hippy place, just know the boundaries, discuss things, try not to mindlessly flame, bait people (or be baited). In a nutshell, just use your common sense.

Bugger, I went off on a rant, it's all your fault you know... ;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I'd like to see 2, maybe 3 forums... a general one (this), and a PvP forum, maybe a newbie forum if there's a demand.

Lets face it, the people who post here will most likely be ex DAOC'ers anyway, so the population will never reach DAOC proportions.... most will probably end up using the official forums BUT!...
... The official forums look like they're going to be a whine fest for illiterate kids... hey, maybe some of them don't speak english so well, but at the very least, they can write words out in full and maybe use a spellchecker so they don't come across like morons.

Since no Blizzard dev is ever likely to read these boards, there shouldn't be problems with "Blizzadr $uXX0r$!!11" topics. Unless Tungdot, the new comunity manager, is really Kemor, in which case he might just check in here.

Maybe if enough of us play on one server, we can warrant a specific server forum, but until then it will just fragment an already tiny comunity.

:)

:)

Lian

Fledgling Freddie
Yes don't bother splitting it in specific servers.

US release: 250k sold - 72 servers
EU pre-order: 330k pre-ordered -> presumably 600k or so sold in 1st month -> 90-110 servers (50% of which will be german, but 40 english servers is still a lot to choose from)?

I'd say:

General
Newbies
PvP
Tradeskills
Classes (perhaps)

parfait

Fledgling Freddie

Ottar[/QUOTE]

agree. i think the forum should be server based. this way you can post any upcoming epic quests, or social gatherings and know that people will look in the right place to see what events are planned

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with Fuzzy, the community that will use these boards will be small, and hopefully close-knit ( ahh, centimentality ), because Blizzard seem to be doing an OK job with their official forums at the minute. However, 99% of the stuff posted on that forum is utter garbage that isnt even worth the waste of energy it takes to click on the links, and so in my opinion, let the B.Net kids keep their official forums, and let us Civil people chat in peace here :D

On the sub-forum topic, I also think that there is no need to dilute the forum with too many sub and sub-sub sections, and there very well may be quite a few servers too choose from, but in my opinion most regular users of this forum are leaning towards joining the same server, and so there may not be much need for a server-by-server sub sections. On a more positive note, a Professions sub section would be great, as this section is one of the only ones on the official forums that contains more than textual sewage.

Anyway thats my opinion, but id wait and see what happens at release before laying down concrete plans.

Shailaa

Loyal Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
However, 99% of the stuff posted on that forum is utter garbage that isnt even worth the waste of energy it takes to click on the links, and so in my opinion, let the B.Net kids keep their official forums, and let us Civil people chat in peace here :D

Couldent agree more :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
RIGHT.

Consensus seems to be not splitting the forum by server but to add sub forums for major categories of thread as follows:

1) Tradeskills/Crafting

2) PvP discussion

3) Class discussion

4) Quest Help (Spoiler Zone, beware!)

and of course a general area. Given that most people will be newbies to begin with I don't plan as yet to separate that area. I'll set this up in the next few days.

Now, to add further comments regarding behaviour, Yoni and I will be encouraging Fuzzylogic to mod this forum quite harshly, and backing him up in doing so. Persistent whining or flaming will result in bans being handed out, and we will be deaf to any cries of 'I wouldn't get banned for that in the DAOC forum' and so on. This is NOT the DAOC area and it will NOT end up like it. If you want to whine and whinge and flame all day either:

a) Grow up a bit

or

b) Go and post on Blizzard's forum where this is rife.

I hope that is clear to everyone.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The "Quest Help" section would be made redundant by the Newbies forum, imo.

5) Roleplay (+Stories) Forum ;)

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
Remember that we all have the use of the thread title. Can we put in a rule that all thread titles should actually say something relevant and possibly include the server name. Shouldn't be too hard to put WARSONG or other such names before the thread title. The reason for this mini whinge is that i'm sick of reading posts that have " I wonder if ... " or "GM's read pls" "Could someone help me with"

Something vaguley descriptive would be good " <server name> Help needed with <insert quest> on <insert date>"

"<server name> raid planned on <insert date> at <insert location>"

Ok i'll stop cos im sure you get the idea.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Those forum categories look good to me. I'm sure we can always suggest to add more once the game is released and we can judge the FH population that have moved over to WoW.

I have noticed that on other forums (particularly the PhP ones) there is an option to post a title and then an additional "sub title" underneath for a bit of extra information. I'm wondering if that may be useful here? For example:

Title: Quest help
Sub title: *insert name or description of quest here*

I mean, you're gonna get so many noobs posting a title such as "HELP MEH!!11" aren't you? :p

Or....... I'm thinking maybes can you make a compulsary sub title where the poster must put in their server. I can imagine someone posting and asking for items in the crafting forum for example, only to get a reply like "what server are you on?" etc..

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Elenos said:
Something vaguley descriptive would be good " <server name> Help needed with <insert quest> on <insert date>"

"<server name> raid planned on <insert date> at <insert location>"

Mmm, I doubt peoples will want to be posting their raids on public forums, that would be something for their own private guild forums I'd imagine :)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
[QUOTE='Shy]Title: Quest help
Sub title: *insert name or description of quest here*

I mean, you're gonna get so many noobs posting a title such as "HELP MEH!!11" aren't you? :p

Or....... I'm thinking maybes can you make a compulsary sub title where the poster must put in their server. I can imagine someone posting and asking for items in the crafting forum for example, only to get a reply like "what server are you on?" etc..[/QUOTE]
you can already see part of the first post before you actually enter the thread, by putting your mouse over the title and a part of the first post should show.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes but that's not necessarily going to make the posters actually talk any sense in their first sentence is it?

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
yes but if they cant make any sense in the beginning part of their post (as it shows more than just the first sentence) than I doubt they will make sense in a sub title.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
They'll soon learn when I start nuking dumbass threads :)

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
That, in my opinion, is what makes the daoc forums so bad. Its the hesitance of the moderators ( no offence to them, theyre all nice guys ) to close threads that you can see are going too far. This makes the idiots on there believe they can get away with murder. Luckily Fuzzy has gone on some sort of power trip and is modding this forum well :D but still allowing nice discussions to go on. It seemed to me in the past that a thread only got closed in the Daoc forums if people started threatening to kill eachother, when stuff said before had already gone too far.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
Righty ho... sub forums created and over the next few days existing threads will be moved. Because so many need moving, redirects will not be left, so please take a good look round the other sub-forums for your threads of choice. Also, from now on please think about which area you should be posting in so we can use the structure to it's best.

Happy Christmas Fuzzy :p
possibly best to make this announcement a seperate sticky, as some/most people might not read a 2 page sticky?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Righty ho... sub forums created and over the next few days existing threads will be moved. Because so many need moving, redirects will not be left, so please take a good look round the other sub-forums for your threads of choice. Also, from now on please think about which area you should be posting in so we can use the structure to it's best.

Happy Christmas Fuzzy :p

Poag

m00?
Gonna stick up a sticky in the err...'Over forum' for lack of a better word here With some kind of dos and donts?

Then atleats when people get banned they won't start a million threads asking why they were banned.

Basic Stuff...
-No pointless spam
-No thread resurections for no reason
-No telling peeps to die irl
-no nerf requests [Blizz have said somewhere they will ignore the community on this front anyway :worthy: ]

Yes ok maybe a bit ott, but would save alot of trouble and annoying post farming in the long run.

-Gale

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Is it really necessary to have the general WoW discussion as a sub-forum, surely it should be the main forum with the other 4 as sub-forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom