Raising the age of criminal responsibility?

Damini

Part of the furniture
There's talk of raising the age of criminal responsibility from 10 to 14. How would this even work? Is it saying that until your fourteen you don't understand the law? Or just shouldn't have to bear the brunt of it's repercussions in the same way, or at all? On the grand scale, would this would mean that if a new Jamie Bulger case came up, they wouldn't be liable to be prosecuted or jailed? Or Mary Bell? Or the two boys who have been found guilty of the manslaughter of Damiola Taylor? Or the boy of 12 who raped his teacher? I just find all this a little hard to grasp. Is this just a way for Labour to lower pressure on the courts, and lower crime statistics? I know I don't bother reporting most stuff done by kids now because I don't see it as worth it, but if this came in I guess I wouldn't bother at all.

I think I'd be terrified of the fourteen year olds round here once they find out they're below the age of criminal responsibility, especially if they interpret it the same way as I do: God mode.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There are a few of these mouthy fuckers around here, although generally they do no harm I've found that if they're making too much noise, walking over to them in your bare feet with an angry look on your face, and demanding to know who just called me a 'pussy', soon shuts them up.

At the end of the day, they're children, and no children are going to threaten me and get away with it.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Yeah, my mates friend felt the same until he was stabbed twice by a fourteen year old.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'll take the chance. Theres no way that rogue children will ever intimidate me. People need to stand up to the little gobshites.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Another bunch of liberals trying to take the country further down the shitter. Lets hope that the government has the good sense to ignore them as they usually do. Personally I would keep the age of criminal responsibilty at 10 but also change the law so that the parent of any minor who is charged on more than one occasion is then charged themselves with neglecting a minor. Repeat offenders should be removed from thier families, it is the only way to nip this problem in the bud.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Castrate the chavs IMHO.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ah nice. looks like another blow to the innocent people.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if your old enough to be out late smashing up cars and nicking things, then your old enough to do a 5 year holiday at her majestys prisons tbh

noonne has any respect for people or property any more, bring back caning in schools and national service tbh. disciplining children is not the same as child abuse, as much as certain groups of people would like you to believe.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
cHodAX said:
Another bunch of liberals trying to take the country further down the shitter. Lets hope that the government has the good sense to ignore them as they usually do. Personally I would keep the age of criminal responsibilty at 10 but also change the law so that the parent of any minor who is charged on more than one occasion is then charged themselves with neglecting a minor. Repeat offenders should be removed from thier families, it is the only way to nip this problem in the bud.

Agree 100%

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Removed from their family and put where exactly chodax? You would create a bigger and more costly problem that I do not want my tax money wasted on.

Foster homes and halfway houses are not going to make a bad child into a better child.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
:sex:
Ch3tan said:
Removed from their family and put where exactly chodax? You would create a bigger and more costly problem that I do not want my tax money wasted on.

Foster homes and halfway houses are not going to make a bad child into a better child.

I know but the truth is that 95% of these kids are going to spend the best part of thier adult life in prison anyway, regardless of the efforts made to help them find the right path. If we do nothing like we currently do then we are only feeding the problem, there has always been anti-social behaviour but it has spiralled out of control in the last 10 years and it is time for some tough action to make these kids wake the fuck up. Frankly if locking the little fuckers up for 6 months doesn't sort them out nothing was going to anyway and they are beyond saving. The safest course of action then is to keep them off the streets so at least the innocent stand a chance.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Your suggestions will only serve to make more criminals, and make those kids even worse.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ch3tan said:
Your suggestions will only serve to make more criminals, and make those kids even worse.

That is some faulty logic right there, when punishment is severe crime goes down, it has been proven time and time again. Aside from the U.S. where gun control is laughable pretty much every country with capital punishment has low murder rates. In countries where they have public flogging for theft and anti-social behaviour you have practically zero street crime, people know if they cross the line then they are in big trouble, not some slap on the ankles and 'don't do it again' bullshit. If the punishment is strong it is an effective deterrant, the problem with the western world these days is we have become too soft and make excuses for people who behave badly. I know for a fact that if I ran the risk of being publically flogged for commiting small amounts of software piracy then I wouldn't do it, the risk would far outweigh the benefit.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The answer to this problem is really quite simple, but will never occur.

1. Lower the age of criminal resposibility to 5.

2. Any child between the age of 5 and 16 found guilty of a crime gets a minimum punishment of a £1,000 fine payable by the childs custodial parent(s)/ Guardian ect.

3.At the age of 16 (or upon leaving secondary education) ALL young adults serve 2 years national service.

4.A "Three strikes and you're out" system is introduced.

5.The death penalty is reintroduced for people committing their third and final crime.*

*Speeding is no longer a crime, just very naughty.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
JBP| said:

2. Any child between the age of 5 and 16 found guilty of a crime gets a minimum punishment of a £1,000 fine payable by the childs custodial parent(s)/ Guardian ect.

3.At the age of 16 (or upon leaving secondary education) ALL young adults serve 2 years national service.

5.The death penalty is reintroduced for people committing their third and final crime.*

/agree

Its the parents that are the problem tbh :touch:

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tbh there should be some masked f00 who carrys this big beating stick and anywayward kids should be hit 3 times or some thing, each following crime raises the beating by 3

soon have most of the kids not stepping out of line, not ideal but better than wasting time and money try to theach and preach to the *****

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
JBP| said:

Damn, that sounds pretty close to a utopia for the decent law abiding citizen :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it seems that I will have to share my throne in the perfect world :) not bad indeed :)

tris-

cHodAX said:
I know for a fact that if I ran the risk of being publically flogged for commiting small amounts of software piracy then I wouldn't do it, the risk would far outweigh the benefit.

thats all well and good.

but there is one problem. for some reason beyond my comprehension (and maybe yours) people actually care for the welfare of scum bags.

i shit you not :)

can i share it too tdc? so when you sit down my penis is right there.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
JBP| said:

I'd love to see most of the people on these boards do national service. They'd spend the entire time crying for their mummies tbh :)

+ I love the fact that you differentiate speeding, which causes more fatalities than guns... Speeding should be punishable by death first offence IMO :)

(Edit) And cut boys penises off for music and video piracy, that would sort em.

rynnor

Rockhound
I very much doubt it will go up to 14 - theres no appetite for that in the general population - more likely to go down tbh.

I wouldnt get too hung up on it since the current one is circumvented all the time - theres common law precedents that if a child is able to tell right from wrong it can be prosecuted regardless of age.

If you seriously think criminalising children is the answer to societies ills then good luck...

tris-

rynnor said:
If you seriously think criminalising children is the answer to societies ills then good luck...

now i have to ask, why do you care for the welfare of someone who knows full well that what they did is wrong? because i really dont understand it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
+ I love the fact that you differentiate speeding, which causes more fatalities than guns... Speeding should be punishable by death first offence IMO :)

There are about 40 million licenced drivers in the UK.

There are about 120,000 firearms licence holders in the UK.

Hardly surprising that speeding kills more people than guns, even though excessive speed (not speeding) is a very minor part of road safety, and is responsible for a very small percentage of annual road deaths.

phazey

One of Freddy's beloved
I agree with the suggestion of National Service. My kiddie here in Thailand potentially will have to do it (they have a lottery system). If he does not get picked, we're still quite eager for him to join one of the armed forces.

Also re-introducing the Polices "clip round the ear" policy may help, the pod are too damm soft and/or under resourced right now.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
There are about 40 million licenced drivers in the UK.

There are about 120,000 firearms licence holders in the UK.

Hardly surprising that speeding kills more people than guns, even though excessive speed (not speeding) is a very minor part of road safety, and is responsible for a very small percentage of annual road deaths.
Around 1200 deaths a year attributable to speeding, and that's not including stats for increased level of injury...
Althuugh from my experience the problem isn't really just speeding, it's drivers who are arrogant and overconfident in their abilities :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yaruar said:

JBP joking there ofc.

speaking as a cyclist I'd like to see cars treated a shade more harshly than they do. say fines of 1000 euros for running a red light, fines of 10.000 euros for not giving someone, anyone, bike or ped or other car right of way when they have it.

both based on personal experiences to me where I have, or almost have been hit by cars. I am aware that better drivers come from better driving courses like the one Grey is taking, and not from large fines hanging over their heads, but I have a good hope that a fine of 10.000 euros for pulling onto a roundabout sending an old lady off into the bushes would act as a deterrant tbh.

speaking as a motorist (a motorist in Holland) I'd like to see bikes and scooters (god I hate scooters) and other mopeds banned off the roads and back on to the cyclepaths where they used to be in the first place. I'd also like to see the hand of God protection removed from cyclists that makes all cycling transgressions the car-driver's fault. We have perfectly good cyclepaths here in Holland, and where we don't have them we should have them.

that's just an aside. on topic, I'm all for harsher penalties, harsher jails, mandatory national service and mandatory community service so people get to understand that it's naff to dump your empty can on the street within 10 feet of a dustbin :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
Around 1200 deaths a year attributable to speeding, and that's not including stats for increased level of injury...
Althuugh from my experience the problem isn't really just speeding, it's drivers who are arrogant and overconfident in their abilities :)

Where do you get 1200 from? And define the difference between 'excessive speed' and 'speeding'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom