Drink Minimum charge per unit?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Am I the only one thinking that we are turning into even more of a nanny state? Binge drinking won't be solved by increasing prices, I believe that those that want to will just resort to crime to fund their habits.

If we want to stop it at least increase the legal age of someone wanting to buy alcohol, not the price. I am happy to see a 21 minimum age.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
This government just crossed the line. Now it's war !!!!!!!!!111

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The unit increases are not going to cause alcohol based crime to feed habits ffs, have you seen the price increases? They're not exactly huge.

They're simply doing this to stop supermarkets and really budget beer makers being able to make and sell beer for about the same price of water. It'll only make a difference at the very pikey end of the market.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
min age leads to more people hanging around outside off licenses annoying customers, no ?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yep, pushes more kids on the streets. They have nowhere to go. At 18 they can get into pubs. You want another 3 years of them hanging around on streets?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
40p a unit?

Someone tell where I can find these magical 80p pints.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Exactly: real world difference it makes = close to zero.

Especially for rich bastards like Deebs ;)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
but surely we are missing the point

has anyone seen the stats on alcohol related deaths, and injury ?
quick, someone ban it !

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Hopefully it'll stop people drinking the cheap piss (as it wont be so cheap anymore) and more people will actually develop tastebuds for decent alcohol.

binge drinkers only binge because you cant savour 3 litres of cold donkey piss, whereas you can take your time over a nice scotch :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The unit increases are not going to cause alcohol based crime to feed habits ffs, have you seen the price increases? They're not exactly huge.

They're simply doing this to stop supermarkets and really budget beer makers being able to make and sell beer for about the same price of water. It'll only make a difference at the very pikey end of the market.
Beer for the price of water only applies to 2% piss like Tesco Value Lager. It's impossible to binge-drink on that. You'd die of over-hydration before you got pissed. The 'health lobby' has been happily muddying the waters with crap like this. Talking about beer being cheaper than water or coke and then talking about youths out of their brains on super-strength lager. The two things are different but they talk about them side by side deliberately to let people assume the falsehood. Super-strength lager is in no way cheaper than coke. Normal lager isn't either. Only weak stuff is and it's rather difficult to get totally cunted on that.

The constant media-massaging by the new Puritans has obviously worked on you. Shame :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I did a Daybreak piece yesterday, on this story. When you hear the doctor describing the numbers of teenagers coming in with destroyed internal organs due to alcohol abuse - and dying - you begin to see the sense in this move.

Those of us who drink responsibly will see little to no difference. I think it's a good move, although I'm perhaps alone in thinking that supermarkets selling alcohol is something that needs to be reviewed. Beer and spirits should be consumed primarily in licensed premises IMO.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If you gonna raise the drinking age, we need more religion involved, like the yanks.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Something does need to be done but an increase in pricing is not fair on those that drink responsibly. I would be a fan of a maximum allowed units system but I think it would be impossible to enforce. The solution needs to come from education, film some of these idiots and then show them what they look like drunk I know nothing sobers me up quicker. There will still be idiots who can not control themselves but for them you should give them nice big fines and if they can't pay then then ban them from town centres.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I did a Daybreak piece yesterday, on this story. When you hear the doctor describing the numbers of teenagers coming in with destroyed internal organs due to alcohol abuse - and dying - you begin to see the sense in this move.

If you drank so much beer that your internal organs are destroyed, you needed a lesson anyways. What's the point in punishing people that want to have a nice beer for a few idiots that cannot use their brain.

Infact come to think of it. Not sure how much beer you need to drink to get your internal organs destroyed, but it will be rather a lot.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Which responsible drinkers/people who enjoy a nice beer are buying alcohol that's less than 40p a unit?

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Teenagers don't have kids and a mortgage. They can afford to drink. Most who fuck up their livers do it with spirits, which won't even be affected.

My I remind everyone of the cheap price of booze in France and the lower incidence of alcohol problems over there.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Which responsible drinkers/people who enjoy a nice beer are buying alcohol that's less than 40p a unit?
4% lagers are about 2 units a can. You're being ripped off if you pay 80p each. Don't be a snob about it. It's a fizzy thirst quencher for people who don't like sweet drinks like me.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Teenagers don't have kids and a mortgage. They can afford to drink. Most who fuck up their livers do it with spirits, which won't even be affected.

My I remind everyone of the cheap price of booze in France and the lower incidence of alcohol problems over there.

That's just it. The more something is normal and accepted, the less people will be idiots about it. The views on nudity and sex in the USA is another fine example.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
But drinking is considered normal and accepted here. You're pretty much treated a freak if you don't.

The difference is our normal is "get pissed," and their normal is enjoy it with food, enjoy the flavours. How do you change that?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Beer for the price of water only applies to 2% piss like Tesco Value Lager. It's impossible to binge-drink on that. You'd die of over-hydration before you got pissed. The 'health lobby' has been happily muddying the waters with crap like this. Talking about beer being cheaper than water or coke and then talking about youths out of their brains on super-strength lager. The two things are different but they talk about them side by side deliberately to let people assume the falsehood. Super-strength lager is in no way cheaper than coke. Normal lager isn't either. Only weak stuff is and it's rather difficult to get totally cunted on that.

The constant media-massaging by the new Puritans has obviously worked on you. Shame :(

I hadn't talked about binge drinking or anything like that - I think you're putting words into my post that aren't there :D My point was the only real noticeable price point difference will be on these pissy products.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I hadn't talked about binge drinking or anything like that - I think you're putting words into my post that aren't there :D My point was the only real noticeable price point difference will be on these pissy products.
The products which demonstrably are NOT the cause of liver disease or alcoholism:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/23/beer-britain-liver-disease

So this ace policy will increase the price of products which aren't a problem and not affect the price of products which are.

I thought most FH weren't social engineers tbh.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
But drinking is considered normal and accepted here. You're pretty much treated a freak if you don't.

The difference is our normal is "get pissed," and their normal is enjoy it with food, enjoy the flavours. How do you change that?

What's the minimum age to drink and what is the minimum age to enter a pub? Compair that to France. I remember not beeing able to enter a pub in England (with my dad), but I already was drinking in pubs in the Netherlands (16).

Getting pissed has something todo with high prizes and stupid closing hours aswell.

High prizes at pubs and clubs - you'll drink stupid amounts at home. If you don't, you'll pay shitloads. Early closing times means people will start drinking earlier and will be out on the streets all together. It's stupid.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What's the minimum age to drink and what is the minimum age to enter a pub? Compair that to France. I remember not beeing able to enter a pub in England (with my dad), but I already was drinking in pubs in the Netherlands (16).

Getting pissed has something todo with high prizes and stupid closing hours aswell.

High prizes at pubs and clubs - you'll drink stupid amounts at home. If you don't, you'll pay shitloads. Early closing times means people will start drinking earlier and will be out on the streets all together. It's stupid.

Pets win prizes?

winton_pets.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The products which demonstrably are NOT the cause of liver disease or alcoholism:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/23/beer-britain-liver-disease

So this ace policy will increase the price of products which aren't a problem and not affect the price of products which are.

I thought most FH weren't social engineers tbh.

Well, I'm going to side with the doctors we interviewed, who were quite adamant that imposing a minimum price on alcohol would be a very good way of reducing illness and death.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's getting crap soon they will have a beer escalator like they do cigs. Then it will be salt and fat . Gradually eroding our rights one pleasure at a time. If one wants to drink like a fish one should be able to in a free competitive market not one where prices are regulated

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, I'm going to side with the doctors we interviewed, who were quite adamant that imposing a minimum price on alcohol would be a very good way of reducing illness and death.
A group of puritanical doctors who think they should be able to set policy and don't represent the views of all doctors.

Fuck 'em in the ear with their bastard communist 'we must protect you from your own stupid selves you poor people' attitude. Cunts.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Tesco used to sell beer so cheep we used to use it as targets for air rifles. 2.5% pisswater...think it was called top brass or something.

Can't say I care about the minimum price per unit, I wish I could buy decent wine, single malt or "real" ale for 40p a unit.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The UK has gone through loads of cycles of drinking more and drinking less. We are probably approaching an alcoholic maximum in this cycle and will over the next generation swing back down again. It's got feck all to do with taxes, it's just how a generation sees their parents society and decides "fuck that".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom