Large scale RVR. Dont make me laugh

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
At a keep take tonight. was 100's of order and dest. Problem was the only dest I and alot of others could see were the ones on teh battlements. There were about 40 standing on teh other side of the open keep entance door. They were invisible until you got within melee raneg of them.
Id love to know how I was supposed to shoot them. Game engine yet again fails at teh most basic level of mass RvR.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Lengthy quote from VN:

First off you need to understand what happens when you happen onto a large group of players... your game client is getting bombarded by object updates from the server on all of those new player objects so they can be displayed on your screen. Things like what armour are they wearing? What color is it dyed? What level are they? What animation are they currently running? What particle effect is currently active on them? These are just a handful of the data objects getting updated but you get the idea.. now multiply that by 30 players... now 40? now add in all of the players from your side.. another 20-30... Starting to see the trend? Now read on..

What Warhammer does in order to save your game from grinding to a halt whenever you are in a large battlefield of players is prioritize some of the packet updates to reduce the perception of "lag" when you hit a very populated area. These priorities will include a delay for the less critical object updates which are dropped in favor of things like HP updates, mana updates, spell updates, party player updates etc.. Then, as packet bandwidth allows, objects are fed into your data stream and updated. Thats when things start "popping" into view. Think of it as a reverse logic sort of bandwidth throttling in order to maintain semblance of client performance. Basically it reduces the burst explosion of your game datastream to something rediculous like 150k/sec.

So to fix THAT issue I strongly suggest you turn down your animation settings to the lowest, your particle effects to the lowest (and make them for your character only)and I suspect you will see a pretty big difference. I know I did.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
I've tried with the gfx turned down. Then you find yourself stood in a AE spot and no idea what direction is safe to get out of it. I played Cam for many years with far larger battles than the one I expreienced tonight and never had the problems that were evident tonight.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Quad core/4gig/raid drives/high end gfx/high end sound. Think employ better programmers is more to the point.

Tbh I have something similar and I've expirienced this. I haven't tried to reduce anything yet.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
Was waiting at a BO with 2 WB's around me. Suddenly people start taking damage, 5 sec later 2 WB's order popup on my screen in the middle of our zerg. Didn't see any of them before they where on us and doing damage already.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Just assaulted a garrison. well i think we did. I'm not sure anyone is sure. Anything that wasnt insta didnt fire. Screen says there was 10 of us but i expect it took a few more than that to get in.

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
The lag was ridiculous - i gave up and went back to killin mobs.

I hit stealth, took almost 1 minute after the incognito bar was full before i actually managed to go into stealth mode. Melee attacks werent landing as the person i was hitting had actually moved away an eternity ago... Lag is silly with any substantial amount of players present. And as that is the endgame objective then it needs to be sorted.

Its all very well and good suggesting everyone lowers their settings - but the game was publicised with these effects and consequently you expect to play it with these effects, especially when your PC far exceeds the recommended requirements they listed.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Its all very well and good suggesting everyone lowers their settings - but the game was publicised with these effects and consequently you expect to play it with these effects, especially when your PC far exceeds the recommended requirements they listed.

Yeah
My PC runs AoC beautifully
WaR turns it into a Vic20 thats overheating

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't have mattered if everyone was running settings which only showed stick men, the lag at The Maw was purely down to the server being unable to handle that much action in one place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom