Ask me your NDA breaking questions!

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
Emmh, I heard you can toggle of the circles around the characters, as for me I'm a realism fan so that's a good thing.
But I was wondering about the way you do damage, I really can't stand your damage info pop out of the enemies, I mean come on! At first it's ugly, and secondly how can u take a look back at your fights? I always loved to take a look back on my crithits or so in daoc.

Is there a possibility to set your damage and combat stuff into a combat window like in daoc?

PS: Can the interface be altered too? If I compare to a screen from I think a merchant there I'm just seeing almost exactly the same as in WoW, which doesn't really attract me.. AT ALL :clap:

Gimme DAoC like interface and I'm a big fan, for now I'm not even sure if I'll even play it, it just looks like it's gonne be a WoW copy but with better (if not uber, yes) RvR.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
There's a combat tab which by default will have all the damage messages/killspam etc.

You can configure it to be in your main chat window if you want.

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie
Emmh, I heard you can toggle of the circles around the characters, as for me I'm a realism fan so that's a good thing.

No, it's your targeting circle. You'll need it trust me.

But I was wondering about the way you do damage, I really can't stand your damage info pop out of the enemies, I mean come on! At first it's ugly, and secondly how can u take a look back at your fights? I always loved to take a look back on my crithits or so in daoc.

You have a combat log and the combat text can't be changed yet.

PS: Can the interface be altered too? If I compare to a screen from I think a merchant there I'm just seeing almost exactly the same as in WoW, which doesn't really attract me.. AT ALL

You can move and resize the windows.

Gimme DAoC like interface and I'm a big fan, for now I'm not even sure if I'll even play it, it just looks like it's gonne be a WoW copy but with better (if not uber, yes) RvR.

Don't play it then.

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
Heheh, I'm pretty sure I'll try it, not sure if I will indeed keep on playing it.

But as for my question, I understand u do have a combat window then.
Just to be sure: by saying u cannot alter combat text that means u can't alter the pop-up damage yet?

Thanks for replying!

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie
Just to be sure: by saying u cannot alter combat text that means u can't alter the pop-up damage yet?

You can't turn off the pop-up damage correct. Never mind though it tends to bug far too often so you miss it a majority of the time anyway.

The above final comment wasn't suppose to come off ****-ish but when people shout "WoW COPY!!!1one LOL", my mind instantly thinks: Pillock.

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
Hah np, I'm sure this won't be a WoW copy, I'm just saying that the interface does seem copied from WoW, as are the solo player quests from what I've heard, the difference here is that WoW didn't have this grp thing worked out so that u could get from 1-70 with the same grp. (although I bet the gameplay goes far beyond the interface and quests of course, on this side they make WoW look like for example runescape I'm sure)
What I'm saying is that I'm sure Mythic did a great job on the game, but why didn't they go for the whole package then? They could've been a bit more creative/innovative with the lay-out. It almost gives me the feeling they want to drag people from WoW and make them say: yea! this interface is so easy to use I remember this from WoW, lets see what the rest brings (which of course will just has to be the easy finishing touch into making them stay).
As for me I hoped mythic would show those WoW lovers how fantasy (and certainly the games workshop fantasy) should really be seen, as in fantasy like the tabletop game. No fancy cartoonish stuff, just plain serious in your face mature fantasy, which enforces respect. This interface just doesn't give me this impression..

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Zrawkor... Technically WoW stole it from WAR... :) Since WAR is actually based on Warhammer and WoW was meant to be, but they changed the design.. So, WAR TECHNICALLY has the more original one ;)

rynnor

Rockhound
It almost gives me the feeling they want to drag people from WoW and make them say: yea! this interface is so easy to use I remember this from WoW,

I think you answered your own question - I would suggest its un-doubtably designed to make WoW folk feel at home and tbh I didnt hate the WoW UI.

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
Yea that's true for the aspect and orks and stuff, but an interface is something different imo. It has not that much to do with what the game is based on. It's more a way of bringing it to the players and in that way I feel they copied from WoW. It's like they didn't even took the effort to think of something new. (I'm sure there are new features but there's a screenie with I think a merchant window in this thread that makes me remember how WoW was when I look at it..)
In the other aspects indeed WoW stole it from warhammer.

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
I think you answered your own question - I would suggest its un-doubtably designed to make WoW folk feel at home and tbh I didnt hate the WoW UI.

Nope, me neither, but I do when someone brings out a new game that's supposed to be better than WoW and then use it again. It's almost feels like they admit they can't do better than WoW did on that subject.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I've yet to see a complaint on a messageboard by someone along the lines of "OMGZ WoW, love the massive grind in the end game and the constant uphill running that is the raiding game but FFS THE INTERFACE SUCKS!"

If it ain't broke...

pikeh

Resident Freddy
If it ain't broke...

QFT

there are some things that will in time become a mainstay of MMORPGS, simply due to ease of use, player familiarity and aesthetic purposes. So what if it apes WoW's UI a little bit? Its a working formula. Like the Mob con system, its perfectly suited to the job.

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
True but it does affect the feeling when you play the game. Altho it is a new game, they didn't dress it like one. Indeed the ease of use plays a big part but that doenst mean u can't visually alter it and make it 'unique' to the game.

To me that's just where they kinda failed for now...

Lethul

FH is my second home
I read someone who said you have to operate as a team?

Is the solo game dead? :(

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I'm sure there will be a strong UI community just like DAoCs as well.
Maybe even a DAoC replica UI to come out? :D

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
True but it does affect the feeling when you play the game. Altho it is a new game, they didn't dress it like one. Indeed the ease of use plays a big part but that doenst mean u can't visually alter it and make it 'unique' to the game.

To me that's just where they kinda failed for now...

If it's purely the 'in your face' aesthetics that make you decide on a game then that's cool.

But i'd recommend you look past that, it's akin to me saying a Renault Clio is the same as a Mclaren F1 because they both have steering wheels and a dashboard.

Underneath it all there's a world of difference.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Isn't that the one that was released on WarhammerAlliance yesterday? :O

Aada

Part of the furniture
Meh i see Mythic are almost ready to let the yanks through to the preview weekend :(

Come on GOA give us some info ;/

Surely you must have a date as to when you think we will be able to start entering our codes for Open beta :(

Zrawkor

One of Freddy's beloved
If it's purely the 'in your face' aesthetics that make you decide on a game then that's cool.

But i'd recommend you look past that, it's akin to me saying a Renault Clio is the same as a Mclaren F1 because they both have steering wheels and a dashboard.

Underneath it all there's a world of difference.

I'm seeing it totally different. If I may use your metafore with cars I would see it a as a F1 Mclaren with a superb engine pushed into a quick-fix fancy looking Clio ;). I'm sure the game itself is great, just the interface ain't my thing for now, but as I've read you have a whole lot of customising options for that so I won't be seeing it as such a trouble from now on.

Thanks everyone for replying, it's been a great help! I can't wait to get going myself! Gotta have to be sure to find the breaks before I start my engine tho :clap:

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
ps are there /assist macros, /target, last attacker, etc

:drink:

I can tell you this: there are keybinds (that you of course can bind to any keys you want) for all kinds of assists, cycling through targets etc etc. I do believe you can make macros including all these as well. Not sure if the macros are available yet in the beta. I havn't really felt I needed any... yet :)

If you do not have an offensive target, then the next person to attack you will become your offensive target.

Some examples at to how the keybinds can work:

F2: target partymember 1
Shift+F2: target the offensive target of partymember 1 (assist)
Ctrl+F2: target the defensive target of partymember 1 (aid I think it is called)
Tab: target next enemy
Shift-tab: target previous enemy
N: target nearest enemy

hope it answers some of your questions

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Got in to my city siege tonight,can post few more pictures if you guys are intrested.

Here's the first midboss on Altdorft,he hits pretty damn hard :D

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Awesome, how did it go?

Had to go to bed as it was way too late for me,we were killing him very very slowly (he had aoe attack which made about 10k dmg,so melee dps were basically useless)

It will be hard as hell when there are defenders,that i can say

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
I have a question actually, that I've not found the answer to yet. How many people are there in a group?

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, would prefer 8 like in DAoC, since then you have a couple of spaces to play with. With 6 it kinda gets filled up with essential classes, and we'll probably end up with some classes that just can't get in a group. But there we go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom