Lovely lines on my monitor

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Ok, my pc pretty much died on me earlier. It was still switched on(lights etc) but the monitor shut off into standby mode. I rebooted my pc and instead of the usual windows stuff when I boot up, there are a lot of lovely red, green and blue lines.

Does this mean my graphics card has died?

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like it but try
booting in to safe mode with the default vga driver as it could be a corpt driver file
cleaning the heat sink/fan
resetting the card (some heavy card card work there way out meaning the connection can be broken or intermintant )
edit
when you say widows stuff does that mean you get the bios ok ?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Cant see anything on the screen, just the flashing green lines so no idea how to get to safe mode.

Cant really do anything with it, it just flashed oddly

Thadius

Part of the furniture
sounds like it but try
booting in to safe mode with the default vga driver as it could be a corpt driver file
cleaning the heat sink/fan
resetting the card (some heavy card card work there way out meaning the connection can be broken or intermintant )
edit
when you say widows stuff does that mean you get the bios ok ?

i also did clean some of fans and the card itself, not working still though

Would post a pic but this pc doesnt likemy camera

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
dont have an old one:(

If you've got a second machine/a spare friend, ask them? When I encounter this sort of problem I'm screwed, as I took out my old graphics card (really a POS) and binned it.

No one you can steal one from, to test?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
If you've got a second machine/a spare friend, ask them? When I encounter this sort of problem I'm screwed, as I took out my old graphics card (really a POS) and binned it.

No one you can steal one from, to test?

Nah, they only have pcs that are fully working.

And this piece of crap is so old I doubt it even has a graphics card:p

Overdriven

Stop owning me, I know little about pc shit :(

Ill give you a pie if you fix it!

Well, if you open your PC (turn it off first!) and look to see where your monitor is plugged in, take the card out (unscrew etc) and put it in your other machine (take both out etc) and then rescrew in, then plug monitor in and turn on machine :) (Google: How to replace a graphics card for less sleepy instructions)

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Well, if you open your PC (turn it off first!) and look to see where your monitor is plugged in, take the card out (unscrew etc) and put it in your other machine (take both out etc) and then rescrew in, then plug monitor in and turn on machine :) (Google: How to replace a graphics card for less sleepy instructions)

that all pins on the FX in the old box being compatible with his new box + if its really old it might even be pci and then i will not solve the problems as it will not test the agp/pci-e slot/bus. also it could be on-broad graphics again if its old then this chance increases.

be you do go inside it, make sure you ground your self to discharge any static charge you might have built up as you dont want to fry any thing else when taking out your GPU

when doing work on your pc don't have it on the floor use a hard surface workstation/desk putting a card/memory stick on a carpet will fry 99% of the time

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
The thing you plug your monitor into is the graphics card ;)
mmmm if you think about it that not 100% correct

its due to the fact that if an old mother board, it might not have a graphics Card it might have on-board graphics

if thats the case you just told Thadius to rip part of his mother board off
/em bad overdrive heres a stick now go beat your self :)

Overdriven

if thats the case you just told Thadius to rip part of his mother board off
/em bad overdrive heres a stick now go beat your self :)

Oh yeah :( I forgot PCs come with onboard graphics.. :( Hey! As I _DID_ say, I was half asleep when posting.

TIP: Don't rip out motherboards XD

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I think it is a seperate graphics card.

No look with finding one of my mates either :(

I hate being a skint student :(

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
I think it is a seperate graphics card.

No look with finding one of my mates either :(

I hate being a skint student :(

don't you have a IT department in your uni/collage may-be ask them if they can have a look at it, you never know your luck they might be able to take it in and have a look

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Just for the future .... and this applies to everyone. The gfx card is often the most likely to go.

So don't sell your old gfx card when you upgrade. Keep it and put it some where safe. That way you have something you can test your rig with, when it goes wrong.

Also never bin your old cases OR at least make sure you take the power supply out, so you can test with that if you ever think your power supply has gone.

Always get a motherboard with a power light on it. So you can tell if your motherboard is getting power.

When you buy memory, get 2 sticks, that way if one ever developes a fault you always have the 2nd stick in the machine. So don't get a 2 GB stick, get 2 * 1GB.

Always have a spare keyboard and mouse (even if they are crap).

Its always a pain to try and fault find a pc, but its a nightmare when you don't have parts to swap in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom